Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mess kit marking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Costello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: mess kit marking Reply with quote

Just getting started collecting Japanese equipment of WWII. I have a type 38 long rifle and have managed to decipher most of the markings. I just picked up a mess kit and cant find out the meaning of the "fist full of arrows" mark above the date markings (Showa 17). Anyone know what this mark signifies? Thanks for any help. Your site looks like just what I was looking for!
Thanks
Jack C.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: mess kit marking Reply with quote

Jack, Off the top of my head, I don't know if they've been completely identified, it is mentioned in Mike Hewitt's Uniforms and Equipment of the Imperial Japanese Army in World War II . Mine has the same marking, but I can't find the post where it got identified. I'll check tonight and get back to you. Thanks for posting, Trey Stancil
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: mess kit (rice cooker) markings Reply with quote

I found the post, unfortunately the pictures have been removed from the server. Original post is Here. This is the reply I got from Edokko on the markings.

Quote:
A bit more from my side. The 4th photo has the maker name "Nigiriya" above the "fistfull of arrow" mark, it means "grasped arrow".
The 5th photo looks like Iwa, 42, Oka. meaning unsure but could be troop garrison number or something in that degree.

What you have is part of a Type 92 mess kit which originally consisted of two bodies, one fitting into the other and the outer body having the strap stud (your's is the inner body). This mess kit is fairly rare to find lately but is a neat variation where the two bodies could be placed on top of each other with the inner lid placed in between, thereby being able to cook rice and soup or two portions of rice at once.

The steamer insert is a very neat piece. Never seen one before.

I may have the pictures at home. If I do, I'll upload them this weekend if I get a chance. Trey
Bushido101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a japanese officers mess kit marked the same way also, dont really know maker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: