Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Struck Mums.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Earl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: We helped.. Reply with quote

All I know is that we Americans aided in the mum destruction process. There are many, many documented cases of Americans being the ones doing the defacing. Sometimes at collection/distribution points and sometimes it would seem in the APO process. I've talked to many that shipped home rifles with intact mums but when they arrived, the mums were ground.

Earl
Eloldehombre1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Struck Mums Reply with quote

1) It is documented that the Japanese defaced the mums on rifles before the surrender. 2) It is documented that after surrender Japanese workers ground mums off rifles before rifles sent to U. S. ships in Tokyo Bay. 3.) Many of the rifles imported from China in the mid-80s had ground mums.

This seems to indicate that rifles to be surrendered to the enemy had the mum defaced or, if time permitted, ground by the Japanese. In some matter this 'wish' to remove the Emperos'r symbol was transmitted to, and oked, by Allied authorities

When Law was researching his book on the K98k an associate found the specifications for 20K (?) Mausers the Japanese ordered in the mid 30's in German Archives. It is possible that a document authorizing mum removal exists in the National Archives in Disneyland East (Wash. D. C.).
riceone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Struck Mum Reply with quote

I went back today and visited my old Vetran friend who has the T 38 Carbine that I refered to in an earlier post. He said that when the bomb was dropped he was immediately sent to Japan to help destroy Japanes small arms. He said that he reached an arsenal about 80 miles south of Hiroshima the second or third week after the bomb. He said his detachment was the first American troops to get there and brand new rifles and carbine were already ground and piled up outside in a pile as big as a house. They used torches and were cutting them up. Each man was allowed to take one rifle and he chose a carbine. He said the Japanese had defaced the mums before they arrived. He said that he had with him a carbine with the mum that he had picked up on the battle field in New Guina that was beat up and he threw it on the pile because he could not have but one. riceone
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this for a twist? I recently picked up a nice Nagoya T-99 original series that has an untouched mum - However the safety has been ground! Mistaken identity??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: