Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

matching#?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miamisam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: matching#? Reply with quote

Very new to this and trying to learn. For example on a Type14 if someone asks if the numbers are matching how do you tell. Does matching mean everything is original or do numbers for different parts have to match somehow? Does it need to be taken apart to tell? I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: matching Reply with quote

Generally, Nambus are described as matching, two ways, one of which is misleading.

Type 14 Nambu, Matching mag. This doesn't necessarily mean the whole gun matches, it just means, it is a type 14, with a magazine # that matches the last three digits of the serial number. There may not be another matching part on it, and the mag may be not be proper for that Year/Month date gun. Always ask, if all numbers match, I'm posting a story about 'matching numbers' as soon as I get a chance. (misleading)

Type 14 Nambu, Matching, with matching mag. This is supposed to mean that all numbered parts match, as well as magazine. This is what you look for. Almost all Nambus should match all numbers to be considered matching, some reworks exist, which appear to be correct without all matching number, but that is another story in itself.

Different periods of manufacture used different inspection marks and numbering schemes so study up and be prepared. If you have any question, post them, and we'll walk you through the matching process.

If you have more questions, let me know. Thanks for posting. Trey
miamisam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: matching #'s Reply with quote

It's a little confusing to me. The gun serial # is 99526. Date of manufacture is Nov. 43. The # on mag is 272. Also have another mag with #416. Can you tell? Thank you for all your help. Please get back to me if you have any answers.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: matching Reply with quote

Those magazines do not match the pistol. Magazines are frequently mismatched. Its common to find pistols with mis-matched magazines.
If you can email me pictures of the marks on the back of the magazine, you can tell what arsenal and period of production a mag is from. Trey
miamisam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: # Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: