Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which type -02/45

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: which type -02/45 Reply with quote

Hi there, I have owned this rifle for over 30 years,I know its japanese,it has no serial number on it, but is does have the mum and 5 symbols under it, I think it is a type 30, by looks of the action. I have pictures and will be glad to share them. Please help me figure what type of rifle I have.
my email is kurtb@bex.net. email me and I'll send the pictures.

thanks alot, Kurt

jangle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a serial number, I would say what you have is what collectors refer to as an 0245. That's a T-35 action assembled on sometimes crude trainer stocks. Of course, it is possible that it is a very early (proto-type) T-35. If you could post additional photos it could help. There are other collectors here that know more about these rifles than I. Hopefully, someone will chime in and let you know.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Curt, as Jangle said, its a type 35 Action, whether it is a true Type 35 or an 02-45 remains to be seen. The Type 35 is a model of 1902 and it is theorized that in 1945 the un-numbered actions were pulled out of storage and assembled with training rifle stocks/parts for a last ditch weapon. Hence 02-45. Some shots of the stock, rear sight, and front band area should be what we need. Lack of serial number is one of the 'tip offs' for an 02-45. From the grain of the wood, I would guess 02-45, but the other shots would clear it up. Thanks for posting. Trey
kurt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,thanks for the info, can't upload pictures now? email me and i'll send them
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

Here are Kurt's pictures, definitely an 02/45. Do you need a bolt for it?

kurt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting the pictures! what does 02 45 stand for,can you tell when it was made? doe's it have any value? and yes I do need a bolt

thanks again, kurt
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: 02/45 Reply with quote

The 02-45 designation comes from the original date of the Model and the supposed date of assembly with training rifle parts. The Type 35 is a Model of 1902, production was approved in Meiji 35 (1902) so we have 02. It is supposed that these un-numbered type 35 actions were taken out of storage in 1945 and assembled with training rifle stocks and other parts for use as training or last ditch type weapons for defense of the home front possibly. From that date, 1945, we get the 45. So what we have is a rifle assembled with parts from 1902 to 1945. We just shorten that to 02/45 for the sake of brevity. Without a bolt, there isn't a lot of value, its just basically a barreled action with stock. If you can find a bolt, (try the BANZAI parts exchange) value would probably be in the $400-$900 range for a reasonably quick sale. It might bring more, or less at auction. It looks to be a very nice rifle. Without the bolt, I'd guess in the $200-$400 range, as you'd still need a $100-$200 bolt to make it a complete package. Trey
kurt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwsiii, thanks for all your help, I received the rifle from my father along time ago, when he got it, I think the bolt was with it, but someone removed it for safty reasons, I'll contact Banzai to see if I can get a bolt (I hope) for it.

Thanks Again, Kurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: