Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forks of the Delaware Show Report (long)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szeigler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Forks of the Delaware Show Report (long) Reply with quote

All,

This past weekend, I attended and exhibited at the Forks of the Delaware Military Arms Society Show (Forks), located Allentown, PA. I was lured to display because I'd never been to that part of the state and the best of show cash award of $1,000.

My theme was Imperial Japanese Small Arms (1897-1945). It was essentially the same exhibit as the one I set up last month at the MAX show. The only exception is that I had 3 tables rather than 4.

This was my first time at the show and I was quite impressed with the overall operation of the show, selection and quality of arms for sale. There were no flea market items to be found anywhere. The best part is that they run a tight ship and make the dealer stay until 3pm on Sunday, or they are not allowed to return. That keeps dealer real honest. They also have a "no admittance after 2pm" rule. This lets attendees know to get there early, and not to show up late then complain about paying $7 for the final hour of the show. The show itself is rather small, maybe 300-400 tables, but it is packed with a lot of quality items. I saw flintlocks, trapdoors, mausers, Garands, 03' Springfields, up to modern military weapons and current MILSUP imports.

On the Japanese front it was mainly rifles for sale, I did not notice any handguns with the exception of a Type 94. This being said, I was not looking for pistols, so they may have been there and I just did notice. There were many rifles ranging from Murata's thru 99's. Prices on the 99's ranged from $90 to $725. I saw one dealer with a Type I priced at $800, marked down from $1,100. Needless to say it went home with him. Mike Rockhill, who assisted with the display, said the Type I has been for sale for quite a long time. There were a handful of Snipers, 99 & 97. All seemed to have something wrong with them - the most common flaw were sanded stocks. Prices ranged from $1250 (w/out scopes) to $3K complete with scope. I did not see any worth the asking price. I did have a guy offer me a junker 99 SR with a legit sniper bolt (mismatched pin and knob) to me for $500. I passed. On the 99 side I think Mike got two of the best deals of the show. A nice matching S:7, 90K range, $150 and a S:10 for $90. The S:10 had a Type "A" reciever and firing pin. S:7 had a green painted rack number on the buttstock. Pretty cool. I picked up a nice matching S:5, 80K range, and a matching S:30 assembly number, 22K range. I paid $125 each for them. The S:30 was missing all the goodies, but Assy # guns are scarce. Both are being sent to the Arisaka Museum in Valley Head, AL. A couple of rifles I-wished-I-bought-if-money-was-not-an-object was a Type I for $250, a S:3 with all the goodies $725, and a matching, mummed, with rubber sling S:10 for $360. Mummed S:10 are hard to come by.

My big buy of the weekend was a Type 2. I'd had two in the past, but was never happy with them. So, after refusing to pay the current asking price because I think they are overvalued, I finally broke down and bit the bullet. I still think they are over valued, but if I was not careful, I'd really be bitching when the top $3K. I thought Brad was a fool when he paid $1K for his beautiful, matching and mummed Type 2 five years ago, but I paid $250 more and mine is ground. So who's the bigger fool now..... Oh it's hard to be humble(d).

I had a chance to meet Big Ed, as well as a few closet Japanese collectors. Doss, we may have a few more Banzai member, and gunboard users. All and all a great show, and I highly recommend the drive for anybody within 3 to 5 hours.

Please leave your two cents if you attended. I am sure I missed plenty as most of my time was spent behind my display. I like to thank Mike Rockhill for all his assistance.

Enjoy, Shannon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: