Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMBU IN 9 MM PARABELUM now with good pictures
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riceone

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: 9MM Reply with quote

It was a common thing to rebarrel and rechamber Nambu's after the war. I have one that was done so expertly it took years to see the modification. In your picture with the barrel marked 9mm there is a line back near the receiver where I beleive another barrel was screwed in. I think your pistol was done by someone other than the Japanese. riceone
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: 9mm Reply with quote

Roy, the one marked 9mm is mine, his looks a lot like that long barrelled .380 conversion Doss had at your place, if I remember, right. The barrel looked like one piece. Trey
gobernator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, the thing is that my barrel is thicker than a normal barrel, so it is not a rebarrel, also my barrel has the same number as the bolt (579) and the following symbols and also marked with number 306

does anyone identify the symbols?

gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: 9mm Reply with quote

Those are normal Nagoya inspection marks found on rifles, and pistols. The number on the barrel should match the number of the receiver, and should have similar inspection marks as well. I think those are later 1940ish era inspection marks, would have to consult the 'New Testament' on Japanese pistols to be sure. Trey
gobernator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then if the barrel is a 9mm pb special made, not rechambered and rebarrel, and as i said, thicker than the 8mm nambu barrel and have those marks of Nagoya inspection during 40īS (you will confirm that in your "testament"), it means that nambu made 9mmpb???
03man

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gobernator,
the fact that the barrel is thicker, does not necessarily mean it is original.

The original barrel extension is normally milled out and threaded to accept a new barrel insert, so the barrel can be any thickness and also still retain the original number and proofs, which are actually on the barrel extension.

If the work is done well, the joint between the new barrel and original barrel extension cannot be seen after finishing.

An x-ray examination of the barrel/receiver junction is likely the only way to determine if it is one piece or two.

No one here wants to rain on your parade, but until another specimen or perion documentation is found, we will remain uncertain that the work is Japanese.
gobernator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand it, but i think that perphaps you aren not undestanding me.

A normal nambu gun in 8mm have a barrel that measures 12mm (0.47") in the outside, and mine has a 14 mm barrel in the outside (0,55") as you can see, my barrel is thicker, not the inside,but the outside, so if they rebarrel a normal 8mm nambu barrel and make a new chamber, they are modifying the inside, and it will measures outside 12mm (0,47") and 9mm parabelum insede, but mine measueres 144 outside (0,55) and 9mm parabelum inside.
so, Who made the barrel which has the outside thicker with the japanese marks??

Do you understand??

Sorry, my english is not very good, and unfortunately i do not have a nambu in 8mm to take photos of both barrels
03man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean, you do not understand what I wrote.
I will try again.

To rebarrel with your thicker barrel, first the old barrel was cut off at the front of the barrel extension.

Second the barrel extension(the part with the numbers) was bored out and a new thicker barrel pressed or screwed into the extension.

third the outside of the barrel and barrel extension joint were contoured and refinished.

Maybe this helps to understand the process Roy described.
Nagoya10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears in the second pic posted, in the very first post, that the barrel has been inserted in the extension, just like 03man posted. There appears to be a definite separating in there that normally would not be there. I believe gobernator is mistaking that if the barrel is thicker that it somehow is original, where just the opposite appears to be the case. It would be nice if gobernator would post close up photos of the barrel where it is contoured into the extension, a better picture of the chamber area inside the receiver and let us know if the barrel is rifled. To me it appears to be a very well done re-barrel, probably using the original front sight. If the barrel extension has those proof marks that were shown, the extension is definitely from a much later Torrimatsu T-14 and so is not original to the frame. Also, the serial numbers on the bolt and barrel (extension) are not matched to the frame which is a very strong indicator of post factory, and probably post war, manufacture.

As to a Mauser 96 being made in 8mm Japanese, I have never seen or heard of one but anything is possible. The 8mm Japanese round is so low powered that the recoil spring would have to be REAL weak to make the heavy barrel/receiver group, bolt and hammer all function on recoil.
gobernator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, i will try to send good photos of everything, and perphaps a radiography (x ray) of the barrel.
With my little camera only can take bad pictures as this:

In that point the barrel is 14 mm (0,55 ") instead of 12mm (0,47")

here are same good photos

Nagoya10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics gobernator. From these it definitely appears that the 9mm barrel is a separate part and has been inserted into the original barrel extension (the rear part that the bolt rides in). It is impossible to say who did this, but if you were able to find out where that person imported those T-14's from, that would be a clue. I am guessing possibly Indonesia.
gobernator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but i donīt understand why the barrel extension where the new 9mm barrel was insert, is 0.55 inches instead of 0,47 inches, that indicates that is a special made barrel extension (with original sights) to this 9mm?? because is clear that is not the 8mm barrel extension that is o,47 inches thick

I donīt know about where they came from,i think it was japan, 4 guns where imported to Madrid (spain) 1 year ago, 3 in 8mm nambu and this one in 9mm pb, that man now is retired and shop close down
03man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barrel extension is the rear part that houses the bolt. The barrel is the front part with the sight.

Your new pictures are much better.

How about ,ptr pictured of the rear of the barrel, where it curves into the barrel extension, top view, bottom view, and side, with the barrel off the receiver?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: