Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MATCHING NUMBERS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenzilla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: MATCHING NUMBERS? Reply with quote

since i'm new here, it would help to know where to look for serial numbers when checking-out possible additions to my collection.
on the t-99's, just where are the numbers to be found? the bayo lug, reciever, bolt handle, any more places? randy ?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: matching numbers Reply with quote

In general, numbers will be found on receiver, bolt, safety, and most cases firing pin, bayonet lug, and extractor. Some early 20th and 30th series guns match to a combination of serial number and assembly number on parts. The assembly number can be found on the bayonet lug (flat or sometimes lower edge) and underneath the wood on the underside of the receiver. The 'method of matching parts' varies from arsenal and series so a $42 investment in Military Rifles of Japan will prevent a lot of heartache if you're looking to start collecting these rusty old bolt actions. Trey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tread with caution here and buy a book. Even if you only buy one Japanese rifle, a 40 dollar book purchase can pay for itself. My first Japanese rifle was an early series 20 (which I still have) that was completely matching by serial number on certain parts and matched by assembly part on others. The bolt and safety matches the receiver but the firing pin and bayo lug were not numbered. However there was a different 3 number set on the extractor! I spent a lot of time looking for the "correct" extractor until I learned that it was the correct one. Further investigation revealed that the bolt release was numbered to the extractor, tangs, underside of the receiver as well as the wood channel. I almost screwed up a good thing because I didn't know. Enjoy the search!
stenzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Matching Last Ditch? Reply with quote

I JUST HAD A SHORT REPLY FROM AN AUCTION SELLER CONCERNING MATCHING NUMBERS ON A CERTAIN LAST DITCH RIFLE. I NOTED SINCE THE BOLT DIDN'T MATCH THE RECIEVER, IT WAS NOT A MATCHING RIFLE. HE REPLIED THE Japanese WEREN'T CONCERNED WITH SUCH TECHNICALITIES SINCE THE WARS' END WAS IMMINENT. WHO'S RIGHT?
IS A NON-MATCHING LAST DITCH WORTH $150.00, STILL IN DECENT CONDITION, SUCH AS THEY WERE? SORRY FOR THE CAPS, I'M NOT YELLING. RANDY
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: matching numbers Reply with quote

I wouldn't bet much on a factory mismatch. Even most of the latest guns were either un-numbered or matched. There is a chance that something could be an unfinished factory pick up, but, with so many complete rifles around in storage, I wouldn't expect to see it often. We've seen a few 10th series mismatched with the accepted 2nd class mark on the mismatched bolt. However, we can't confirm that they are truly factory mis-matches. Is a mismatch worth $150? It all depends on the 'goodies'. The prices on transition and late guns are still low enough that you can pick up a nice matching one for $125-$225. Its really your call. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: