Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese Airplanes: Rufe and Seiran Float Planes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Japanese Airplanes: Rufe and Seiran Float Planes Reply with quote

These are the balsa Airplanes my Dad built for me, he had a kit for the Rufe, but had to make his own plans for the Seiran. They are about 1/32 scale. The carts were recreated from a picture in an old Air Classic magazine.

The Rufe was basically a Zero modified as a sea (float) plane.
Rufe:

The Sairen was an airplane designed for use on the I400 series submarines, and utilized a launch carriage when launched from the submarine, or pontoons to be launched from the sea and recovered.

The cart for the Rufe and the cart for the Sairen:

type-14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really neat. Your Dad has done himself proud.
03man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the models, your Dad is a master modeler!
Hopalong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Japanese Airplanes: Rufe and Seiran Float Planes Reply with quote

gwsiii wrote:
These are the balsa Airplanes my Dad built for me, he had a kit for the Rufe, but had to make his own plans for the Seiran. They are about 1/32 scale. The carts were recreated from a picture in an old Air Classic magazine.
Super models your dad is really talented. Mike
The Rufe was basically a Zero modified as a sea (float) plane.
Rufe:

The Sairen was an airplane designed for use on the I400 series submarines, and utilized a launch carriage when launched from the submarine, or pontoons to be launched from the sea and recovered.

The cart for the Rufe and the cart for the Sairen:
car99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Floatplanes Reply with quote

Really nice models. The Rufe had to be the baddest of float planes because it was a Zero Sen fighter with floats. They used it for air cover over Attu and Kiska. I'm not familiar with the Sairen, but it looks like it was pretty fast.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: float planes Reply with quote

If anyone is looking for info on the Aleutian campaign, try The Thousand-Mile War: World War II in Alaska and the Aleutians by Brian Garfield. Very interesting read, seems like as many planes (on both sides) were lost to the elements, as to each other. Trey
whitesharkseeker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice models! The Japanese also used the Rufe over Truk. Most burned by Hellcats. I dove a Rufe in the lagoon at Saipan. It is in about 40-feet of water, upsidedown. Neat plane.

Just visited the Utah Military Air Museum and they are reconstructing a B-24 found in the Aluetians along with a P-38.

-Eric
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: airplanes Reply with quote

George or anyone else, if you have any related pictures, please post them. We don't get a lot of traffic here, but the people that do show up have told me they really appreciate the comments and images. Didn't they find a B17 several years ago somewhere (ice-locked) that they got ready to fly out and had it burn up on takeoff? Trey
oopy38

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: B-17 In Ice Reply with quote

I am not aware of that story, but as I understand it, a B-17 was leading the flight of new P-38's and they all landed in Greenland and were buried in ice until a few short years ago, when one of the P-38's was retrieved, rebuilt (at a cost of about $10 million total) and is flying today as Glacier Girl. Not sure if the B-17 ditched also and is still there or not.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well your close ,Trey, the "my gal sal" was/is a B-17 recovered in greenland and being restored,she came home by ship,with extensive structural damage..the "Keebird" was recovered in the aluetians a few years back,gotten running and burned during engine testing or take off,however she was a B-29 and crashing the late 40's (1947 maybe)..so two stories sort of getting blended.there are still a couple of B-17's under 250ft of ice in greenland I think along with a few more (5 maybe) p-38's.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: picture links Reply with quote

Here's a link to pictures of a restored Seiran my Dad did a really great job from what I can tell, pictures of other Japanese planes are located here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: