Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model 99 w/no Receiver markings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reg3boz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Model 99 w/no Receiver markings Reply with quote

I have a Toyo Kogyo 33 series model 99 that has no marks on the receiver. It is a transitional model 99 that should have the mum, but there are no signs that the chrysanthemum was ever on the receiver. The barrel step up looks normal and the receiver micrometer checks at 1.334 with no indication of grinding or machining. It is a high quality rifle for the 33 series and serial number of 79XXX. It is a matched rifle with chrome bore, chrome bolt face and smoothed barrel with high luster blue. Appears to be almost unfired, very little wear on moving parts.

Compared it to another Toyo Kogyo 33 series that I have, with a lower serial number of 60XXX. This transitional rifle has the chrysanthemum, no chrome bore or bolt face, and a rough machined barrel. The receiver micrometer measured 1.336. Stock and hardware are very similar for both rifles, except the "No Mum" one has no drain holes in the stock.

What the heck have I got? Smile
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: 33rd Reply with quote

Hard to say, non chrome bores are prevalent from 46K on, as well as 'B' receivers (mum only). None reported, thus far with no evidence of a mum. There are a few chrome bolt faces, and bores in the 34th series. Drain holes in the stock is sort of odd for the otherone, almost all the stocks in the 33rd series are reported with no drain holes except in the 90k range a couple pop up. I'd like to get a data sheet and some pictures if you can manage. An oddball for sure. Toyo Kogyo 9's are sort of unique and if badly stamped could be mistaken for 7's. Are all the proof marks on the bolt and stock correct? Thanks for posting. Trey
reg3boz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't figure out how to send photos to this page, so I sent them to your email. Photos are of series / serial number and top of receiver. I was wrong when I said it was matched, even though the inspector stamps are correct, the bolt and safety has different numbers than the assembly or serial number. The stock has no marks that I can find. Look at the photos and see what you think. If they didn't make any that were unmarked, then the only other possibility is that receiver ring has been doctored. Question
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

Would you mind trying to send them again, I either didn't get them or inadvertantly deleted them, I'll post them when I get them. Thanks, Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: 33rd Receiver pics Reply with quote

Here are the pics that Reggie sent of his blank receiver.

In my opinion, the tip off is the lack of finish and the 'smooth spots' above the gas port. The 33rds that I've had, and have seen, have generally had very light mum stamps. It does look like someone tried to replicate the machining marks across the receiver, possibly in preparation for re-blueing, or they could be the result of the original grinding. Its a nice rifle. A good high end number for the series.
buster55

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: What do i have here? Reply with quote

Confused i have a Japanese 99,7.7 ? long rifle..on top of the barrel it looks like something was filed off. below that it is stamped with 99 and something else. where it was filed off, i was told that is was the unit they served in. They say before capture they would file it off if they had time.any truth in this? 7.7 . this is all marked in Japanese language. Crossguard shape is straight rectangular..Pommel -- Birdshead - contoured... it is of the kokura arsenal 1935 - 1945 or Tokyo arsenal prior to 1936.. Buster55

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Buster; The "filed" spot was where the mum was, 16 petal, represented the emperor himself! So when surendered (debate still rages) either the Japanese (to save face) or our troops defaced the mum under orders. The troops sometimes did this prior to surrender in the field by "Xing" the mum with two crossed bayonet blows. Current consensus is that the "Xed" ones were done in the field and the gound ones at a point of surrender or storage place. BTW the other markes below that say "type (or model) and 99" It did not relate to any unit they served in. There is another site "Banzai.com" that has a lot more on the mum issue if you are interested.

Regards,
Nambu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: