Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 99 Long Rifle and Type 97 Similiarities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smzeigler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Type 99 Long Rifle and Type 97 Similiarities Reply with quote

While at the mini-shootout weekend before last, Roy made some interesting observations about rear barrel bands.

Trey has Toyo Kogyo LR that has had the monopod mount clipped which exposes the internal components of the mount. He observed that the mount itself is hollow and that it has two thin metal tangs that would protrude and then are enclosed by the mount itself. He also noticed that the rear barrel bands on 99 LRs have the monopod mount spot weled to the band.

While I was cleaning my 97 rifle last night I also noticed the exact same mounting system.

That brought to mind the obvious question. 99 & 97 production either occured simuetaniously or improvements on the 97 were incorporated in the 99. I am fairly certain that 97 production went well into the latter part of the war as evidenced by late production Nagoya 97s.

If you own a 97 and a 99 LR compare the bands and give us your observations. Also any owners of late war 97s, what do your rear bands look like? Are the same as on early production or are they like 99 SR bands - solid machined parts?

Trey if you post a photo of your clipped band that would be wonderful. I am too cheap/lazy to buy a digital camera or I would post my rear bands.

I am typing this in a hurry so if it unclear let me know and will do a better job explaining myself. Hmmm, suppose I should buy a camera.

Thanks, Shannon
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: 99 Band Reply with quote

Not sure I got the angles you needed.
These two are of an un-clipped band....

These two are of the 'clipped' band....

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. Lighting in my 'fun-n-gun' room isn't what it should be, but then, neither are my eyes. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: 99 Band Reply with quote

Pictures posted above.
smzeigler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Trey,

Thanks for posting the photos.

Shannnon
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be so kind as to post a picture of your Arisaka Type 97? I have a Japanese Rifle, and I'm utterly unsure of the make and model, I know it's a sniper cuz it's equiped with a 30" barrel, it's also equiped with the leaf spring sight, but I'm completely unsure of the make of it, it's chambered for 6.5x50mm..any help would be extremely useful and appreciated
riceone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Mono Band Reply with quote

At this site there is a picture of a T99 long with the hollow type mid band block for the mono pod. http://pub151.ezboard.com/fsteyrmannlicherfrm11.showMessage?topicID=46.topic

riceone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: