Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese Naval Training Rifle ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teiko41

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Japanese Naval Training Rifle ? Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum and I need an expert on Japanese rifles. Many years ago, I bought an old rifle from a co-worker for $75.00 and found out the trigger wouldn't pull.
Now that I'm retired, I'm collecting old WW II military weapons, all countries. So, here it is.

Serial Number 7 on left side of receiver with no arsenal marks or series mark. The letter 'S' laying on its side just aft of the barrel. On top of the reciever is 1 gas escape hole and forward of that is part of a large naval anchor. Receiver is painted black. Barrel is smooth bore.

Other parts are numbered '7' and also '0' with the series 35 character. The 7 and 0 are not together, but the '0' and series number are always together. Question The bolt handle has been broken and welded back on, can see '0' and series 35. If the 7 is there its covered.

Stock has been made into a sporting stock, but the anchor is on the pistol grip.

I would appreciate any info someone may have.

Thanks in advance. Don
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Naval Trainer Reply with quote

Don, take a look at the receiver marks here, this is what we call a 99 Long Naval Trainer, 99 Long Naval Trainer, there are also short naval trainers that just have an anchor on the receiver (I expect that is what yours is). I don't have one of those for a picture available. There is also a 99 Naval Special that was produced that is often mistaken for a trainer, however the 'tip off' is the bore and receiver marks, bores are smooth for trainers. I could tell more with pictures. Without knowing for sure, value for a Naval Trainer is somewhere between $75 and $250-$300. Trainers are a 'niche' piece, some people pay alot for reasonably common ones, and won't pay much for the rare ones. There is a good book about to come on the market by Chip Goddard on trainers which should cause their values to increase significantly as that information becomes readily available. Trainers generally sell in the $50 to $150 range depending on completeness (goodies) and condition. So you can build a nice collection of them very reasonably. Trey
teiko41

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that old rifle out and looked it over pretty good. The anchor does have a cherry blossom (chrysanthemum) in the middle, its only marked with the serial number on left side of receiver, stock is one-piece instead of two. According to the picture and info you sent this was a 99 Long Style Naval Training Rifle at one time. If there was a Kanji branded on the stock it was taken off when someone refinished it.

I sent Chip Goddard a two page data sheet with all markings and never received a response or thank you. Too busy writing a book, I guess

You have been very helpful. Along with your info and what I got from Francis Allan, I have at least fairly well identified what I have and even though its not correct, its going in my collection of weapons, mainly because of the very low serial number.

Thanks again, Don Very Happy
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Naval Trainer Reply with quote

Glad I could be of help, that's one of the reasons I started this board. I have an oddball 38 style trainer that is serial #7 as well. Pretty neat. If you're trying to restore it, I have a stock and handguard off of a similar style (99 Long) Trainer, its dirty and cracked in the wrist, but would probably clean up ok. No kanji in the stock, Let me know if you're interested. Trey
teiko41

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has the Naval anchor at the pistol grip, I may be interested. You can contact me at donhulme@msn.com

Don
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: 99 naval trainer Reply with quote

Don, sorry no anchor. Glad you know what you have now, enjoy it. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: