Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 14 Nambu problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1886lebel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Type 14 Nambu problems Reply with quote

For a friend looking for answers ....
I think I may have the wrong magazine in my pistol. I bought the pistol back in 1975 and had never fired it. I found a box of ammo back then for about .75 a round. When I loaded the mag I found the bullet was seated too far out. I reseated the bullet to spects.
The magazine in my pistol ( Type 14 made in 1931 ) does not fit tightly up against the bottom of the pistol grip. The magazine has a notch cut into the front of its body. It fits my shooting Buddies 1944 pistol with the added grip spring very well.He has the magazine that should be in my pistol? ( no notch ) It,s tighter but not prefect. The pistol wants to "stove-pipe" most rounds.
My springs are shot. I will of course replace them.
The problem I have is that the sear will not release the strikes 90% of the time. The bolt is closed and the sear moves but not far enough to let it fly.
The striker is original. The tab on the striker is the length that is posted on other sites.
The pistol will function with no round in the chamber.(brass rod in bore to protect the striker)
The fired cases look fine. The pistol is very accurate.
The ammo was loaded by Federal back in the 70's.
One spring does not look right to me. But, I cannot find a photo of the correct spring and how it sets in the trigger assembly?
There is a spring that sits above the trigger and is powering the magazine safety lever.
Does anyone have a good photo of this spring and how it sits in the trigger assy?
Are the Wolf springs the way to go?
Normal power or extra?
I would like to hear from owners who have solved these problems.
Thanks.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Type 14 Reply with quote

Patrick, I'm not as up on shooting as some of the others, maybe some of them will chime in. Everything that I've read from Jim, Dan, Dale and others confirms getting a set of wolff springs, and getting a proper repro firing pin. About 99% of feed/ejection problems are mag and spring related. I've found (mostly shooting Papa's where the mags never lock up) if I shoot with the base of the mag and right hand resting and supported in the palm of my left hand (so that the mag is tight in the pistol while firing), that clears up some of the stove piping. I'll see if I can get 'Two-Taishos Dale' to add some more. Trey
type-14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what you need. New springs, check the movement of the sear bar (they get dirty too), and get the proper mag for your 6 date. Type III if it is Tokyo with the square mag catch hole and no notch for the retension spring. Do a quick check on the feed problem by following what Trey has said. The mag needs to be fully seated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: