Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phillips head screws?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kablam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Phillips head screws? Reply with quote

There is a Type 38 trainer on auctionarms with phillips head screws. Is this for real?

Mike
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: trainer Reply with quote

I fear your English speaking ways have misinterpreted the proper designation, those would be the ultra-rare 'phirrips' head screws, used only in trainers of the most dubious quality at that time.

Seriously though, If it is a true training rifle, they did use some phillips head screws in assembly. After all they were trainers and the idea was to assemble them with whatever was cheapest, most available. For the most part they weren't produced or assembled at real 'arsenals' but more metal shops turned armorers. You would not see a phillips headed screw in a standard production rifle, but you might in a naval special or trainer.
kablam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I guess I should pull out those sheet rock screws I just put into my ultra-rare type 38 Phirrups in an attempt at restoration.
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.5X scope case that has Phirrips Head screws used on it as well. There are a couple others known as well. On these they all seem to have a small notch on the outer edge of the screw head.
seinen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kaneyama used Phillips Head screws on their training rifles.

C/
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: updates Reply with quote

I'd forgotten to mention the scope cases, thanks Adogs, you too Chip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: