Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early Colt 1911 and Odd Extended Mag (many pics/slow load)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Other Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Early Colt 1911 and Odd Extended Mag (many pics/slow load) Reply with quote

My Dad (oopy38, will post later) has the 1911 pictured below, serial number is 155xx (I know, I hate the xx thing, its at his request). From what we can find, its a late 1912 gun. A serial number lookup available at one time at Springfield Research says it was shipped to the US Navy. I know 'fine Japanese Weapons 1893-1945' so I can 'trade knowledge', but I don't know diddly bout this US stuff. And, Oh, by the way... there is the oddball mag in the later pictures, all I know about the mag is that it was purchased at a gunshow about 30 years ago as an oddity, it locks up tight and appears to hold about 30 rounds. Trey

Last edited by gwsiii on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
oopy38

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Extended Magazine Reply with quote

A friend has expressed an opinion that this magazine may be for the British .455 auto as it is curved to handle the semi-rimmed case. Does anyone else have a similar (not newly produced) magazine? Best Wishes.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: More Mag Pictures Reply with quote

The Mag looks like it was blued at one time. Where the paint has flaked off in places, and the scuffing on the metal isn't as severe there is some pretty blue remaining in spots, see 3rd and 4th sets of pictures. It looks cruder than it really is due to the extreme scuffing of the metal, presumably in preparation of painting. But like I said, it looks like it was blued before being painted.

Here's the mag (locks up tight!) In a Colt 1911 US Navy

type-14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many rounds in the large cap mag? I ask as there was a 75 round mag issued during WWI.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: mag Reply with quote

It looks to be about 4-6 mags worth with room left over for the spring. There is a dent about 10 rounds in, so I can't load all the way to capacity.
riceone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey, did I read this or did Oopy tell me at the Gun Show that it might have been used by the early observation planes to shoot at enemy observation planese before the advent of fixed guns in airplanes. riceone
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: mag Reply with quote

I that that is what is in some of early books on aviation, that just about anything got carried up in to the planes (used for observation in those days) to use against 'enemy observers'. Trey
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wonder if its not a magazine for a Star MD or PD machine pistol (which was a clone of the m-1911 in full auto) or more likely the chinese clone of the star clone of the colt ,in full auto from the 1930's.Just my thought..I havent found a star listing for that pattern magizine tho they made several very long extended mags for the machine pistols,most seem to have been straight..I cant find a reference to the mag used by the chinese,that puke green looks like something they'd have used tho.the trench magazine theory (i just dont see that as a practical mobile magazine especially in a tight trench)and the air combat theory(lots of handguns used for that ,lugers with snail mags,full auto broomhandles..along with all the oddball rifles, from mondragons to 1907 win autos that wound up in aircraft WWI etc so its possible) are good scenerios too, I just happen to lean towards my theory while looking for answers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Other Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: