Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AGCA Show Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: AGCA Show Report Reply with quote

This just in......
The Alabama Gun Collector's Association (AGCA) show was this weekend (July 10,11) in Birmingham, AL with a display theme of "Guns of the Cowboy Era". There were around 25 displays and those of us with Japanese Weapon displays finished surprisingly strong when the cash awards were handed out. Arisaka and Mrs. Fats' Japanese Matchlock/Samurai display finished 3rd, with Arisaka and Mrs. Slim's Western Gun Display finishing 4th. I have it on the highest authority that more than a few of the 'Western' guns in the Slim-family display were actually from that far, far, far western territory now known as Japan. But, if a judge can't tell a cowboy Colt or Smith & Wesson from a Japanese marked one, who am I to spill the beans, they all look alike, right? Regardless, the Fats' and Slim family displays were outstanding and well deserved their prizes. I finished 7th with my Japanese Handguns 1872-1945 display. This again confirms that Japanese Weapons can hold their own against Colts, Marlins, and Winchesters in display competitions.

Attendance at the show was constant, with a pretty steady flow of people all day both days. Quite a few Banzai/MRJ members were in attendance, and a pleasant time was had by all. Several parts and complete rifles changed hands, and lots of knick-knacks popped up throughout the show.

Acquisitions by Banzai members included: a rear ammo pouch, an interesting helmet with Naval Landing forces insignia and cloth liner attached, Kokura Hourglass (tang numbered) bayonet, Tokyo arsenal reworked (tang and pommel numbered) bayonet , and a Square Rayed Naval? flag, and a 3 digit 33rd series 99 short with a 3 digit Toyoda Automatic Loom T30 bayonet. The most interesting piece was probably Arisaka Fats' early Japanese helmet, 'Jingusa' (sp?). A lessor known non-authority on the subject noted that it really needed some 'mouse ears and a propeller on the top of it' to look authentic, and if Fats would just leave the table area for a few minutes the restoration could have been completed. A TGE two digit Papa Nambu was there for sale, and several Japanese sabers for what appeared to be reasonable prices. Other rifle pickings were slim, a matching 20.2 T14, and matching 19.11 T94 were also noted.

Riceone held a quick seminar on bolt removal when the firing pin gets turned the wrong way in a bolt body on a 99 short rifle. Attendees also got to see and handle the 44/99 Carbine mentioned in earlier posts.

An excellent show in all, I spent quite a few hours with a couple of young men, looking to purchase their first Arisakas, explaining the ins and outs of collecting and going over several rifles throughout the show in detail.

While this show is usually hit-or-miss for Japanese items, its really an extraordinary social event and if you live within driving distance, plan on attending the fall show. If there is interest we can schedule a homemade spaghetti dinner at Castle-Thunder (the home, not the prison) on Friday or Saturday night of the next show. There will be a mini-shoot at Arisaka Arms (Valley Head, AL) annex at the end of August, and a Bodacious Bayonet Bash at the luxurious Labar estate Sept. 18 and 19th.

Your humble servant, the Banzai Bomber signing out.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: