Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of 99 long

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
type-14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: A couple of 99 long Reply with quote

Here are couple of Type-99’s for ya Trey. As I was telling you 592 I found maybe ten years ago at a show in Gulf Port and then of course 591 shows up and as you know I just had to pick it up.
Outside of the those minor cracks in the stock of 591 they look about the same. I’m making up data sheets for you but did want to pass on that the rear sight spring, bolt release, ejector and trigger are all straw parts. Everything else is blue except the chrome face on the bolts. Both bolts match however the safety is #592 over stamp of #412. As you know the cleaning rod in 591 is repro and the rod in #592 is a standard Type-99 short rifle rod 23 ¾ inch. Thanks for getting #591 off the table for me and I’ve got to starting bring my rifle list with me when I make those road trips.

I've tried to show the difference in manufacturing techniques even though these two were on the production table at the same time. Notice that front is pinned on 592 but not on 591 and also look at the floor plate and trigger guard differences between the two. I did this surprising.

Enjoy the photos.

arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, as I mentioned on your Gunboards post, the front sight and floor plate assy have been replaced. Still, finding consecutive numbers is cool as hell.
I got excoriated on the other board for mentioning this Confused
I'd, in return, expect you or anyone else to mention any "problems" with something I posted. Nice matchup!
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rifles,very cool.....now what does excoriated mean ? ciant ya'all just use plain engrish fer us simple folks....to many high fallutin words these days, its all Bovine excerement (bullshit)
type-14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, The reason for posting photos of those two areas if that I feel the same as you that someone at some place in time replaced those parts. What I would like to know if it was an arsenal job, field job or post war in all lilely hood we will never know. I do wish the rifles carried some type of rework mark like many of the Nambus do.
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, I may be wrong but I doubt that many, if any, T-99s were re-worked. Most likely it had a messed up front sight & trigger guard and someone tried to "improve" it. The T-99s just didn't have the long service life of the T-38s that would have led to re-works. The front sight certainly would have not been left un pinned.
I came close to a consecutive pair of Nagoya longs a while back myself. I have 3450 and had 3455. 3455 had a plugged barrel that would have been disasterous for anyone trying to shoot it without checking it. I've since sold it. Of course the buyer had full knowledge of the plug.
I also used to have 3044 and saw 3042 at the Tulsa show back in the '80s.
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEFUC wrote:
Nice rifles,very cool.....now what does excoriated mean ? ciant ya'all just use plain engrish fer us simple folks....to many high fallutin words these days, its all Bovine excerement (bullshit)

Nice way of saying I got my ass reamed. Rolling Eyes
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

Dale, sorry, been yardworking most of the day the footballing with the boy. The front sight is a replacement, I'd guess that its a restored sporter. I don't think any 99s really got reworked, I sort of think the 'D' loops were replaced with 'A's where they could find them but that's about it. But still for no more than you have in it, that's pretty great! Trey
03man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'D loops'?, speaka' da' inglish' please.
riceone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adog, how was the barrel pluged you mentioned. Was it a solid plug the exact size of the barrel driven in where the barrel had been cut off even with the front sight? And had a dimple to look a bit like a hole in the end. riceone.
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, I'm not sure I understand your question. The plug was just forward of the rear sight & the barrel looked like it had been heated externally over the plug. The barrel had not been cut off.
riceone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That then was not the one I was referring to. I replaced a barrel in a rifle that someone had cut the barrel off smooth with the front of the front sight. Then took a peice of steel rod turned it to the correct diameter and turn about 1/4" down to drive into the bore of the rifle. They had also drilled a shallow dimple in the end to look like the bore. The drove it into the barrel and it looked like an original rifle. Just looking at it casually you would never have caught it. People do the oddest things. riceone
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: loop Reply with quote

Don, sorry, 'D' Loop sling swivel, I meant I think they replaced 'D' style loop rear sling swivels (for use with gas mask in place, not necessarily cavalry use as commonly referred to) with the stronger more 'efficient' 'A' style rear sling swivel. Trey
03man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey,
I was confused because I could not relate the D swivel to the 99 long.

Never saw a long with a D swivel.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: swivel Reply with quote

Ok, I didn't mean in reference to the 99 long. Sorry for the confusion. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: