Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'S' Marked 38 Dust Covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: 'S' Marked 38 Dust Covers Reply with quote

I've reported a couple of Dust Covers over the years with an arabic 'S' on them. None in the little bit of stuff that was left that the local gunshop had that came in from China in the 80's. One in particular though, this one, is one my Dad bought for the Carbine my Grandad brought back. He bought it from Sarco in the 70's. Is it possible that at some point Sarco stamped them with an 'S' to indentify that they came from there? Anyone else got a 38 dustcover that they bought from Sarco in the 'old days' that has an 'S' on it? Any verified Vet Bringback DCs with the 'S' on it?

There is a 'Big S' and a 'Little S'. This is the 'Big S', it looks like the 'S' was stamped into the pitting and smoothed it out, otherwise, it ought to be a little pitted inside, shouldn't it?

I think the inspection mark in the lower left corner is a Koishikawa used mark, the character preceeding the 3 digit number is the 20th series mark with the 3 digit number being 905.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: S stamped dust covers Reply with quote

I've had an S-marked dust cover on a rifle that I obtained long before the China imports arrived, so I think that it is a Japanese inspection mark. I sure wish I know what it indicated.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
seinen

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at least two Japanese T-38 rifles with a large "S" on the rear of the bolt release and bolt stem. Must be a Japanese proof of some kind.

C/
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: S's Reply with quote

Appreciate it, I've seen the S's in those locations, but on the dustcovers just threw me, I knew for a fact that this one had come from 'S'-arco and the imports left here in B'ham that I'd gone through didn't have any 'S' marks on them, that has probably been 40 or so covers over the years. Oh well the search continues. Aren't the Type 44s converted to Trainers marked with an 'S' preceeding the serial number? Trey
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought these "S"s were japanese. They ae about the same size and font of the "S"s found on certain ranges of tokyo type 38s. They seem to be stamped on most of the larger parts.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Ssss Reply with quote

To add to the confusion, I just finished looking over a Chinese Type 99 stock with large recoil bolt, it has a Sun stamp, and among other things, an 'S' in one spot. Go figure. Trey
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have one in my parts box that has the S stamped backwards - looks original to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: