Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shorty Bayonet Question/ID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Shorty Bayonet Question/ID Reply with quote

I got this in an email, thought I'd post the question:

Quote:
Blade is 6.75 inches long and blade width at center is approx 7/8th inches; scabbard has RE inside of a circle and is about 8 14" long; bayonet fits nicely into scabbard inserting it in one direction only.

Due to condition and grip fasteners, I'd say originally at Japanese Type 30 Bayonet manufactured at Toyoda Automatic Loom, then reworked by the Chinese, to fit what, I don't know and he didn't say, then later shortened by a third party and the scabbard added. I say this because the condition of the bayonet does not match that of the scabbard. What did that to the wood, would have destroyed the leather of the scabbard. The scabbard may be one of the factory ones done by the British for their cut down enfield bayonets, but its not Japanese, or Chinese, I feel the workmanship is too good. What say everyone else?

oopy38

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Short Bayonet Reply with quote

The scabbard greatly resembles a British P-14 or U.S. P-17 Enfield that has been shortened.
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it adds much, but the scabbard was originally US, with the circled "RE". The Chinese got plenty of US 1917 rifles and I assume the bayonets and scabbards with them, through lend lease and other such means. Shortening would not be a big deal and well within the capability of the chinese.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: remington Reply with quote

from http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80568
Quote:

The firm of 'Remington' (USA) manufactured the '07' for Great Britain in 1915, but only from April to December. Remington also manufactured full scabbards and scabbard furnature (the metal parts = Chape and Locket). The firms recognition initials of 'RE' (either freely stamped, underlined or within a circle) will be found (in nearly all examples) either above the staple on the Locket, or below the staple on the Chape. If the scabbard was made by Remington, the initials 'RE' will be found stamped into the leather on the left side of stitched seam.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: bayonet Reply with quote

Bayonet has made it to ebay with a 'slightly different' description than contributed here. I'd like to have the scabbard, I might bid on it.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: bayonet Reply with quote

I went ahead and bid on it and won it. The scabbard really intrigues me, I'd like to see how well it is shortened. I have 3 or 4 shortened bayonets and if I could find broken and cheap enfield scabbards, I might be able to fashion something presentable for the others. I'm also curious to see what the bayonet might fit. I still think its a Chinese rework that has been shortened since it made it to the USA. The Japanese didn't shorten it and unless its a 'last couple of weeks rework and import' I don't think it was shortened by the Chinese either. I'll post pictures when it comes in. On a side note, most of the cut down and trench art bayonets that I have are Nagoya Subcontractor blades. Now whether or not there is a legitimate reason for this is unknown. I have seen period photos of makeshift machine shops that show signs indicating 'No more Knives' and such and the pictures of the flags hanging from everywhere to dry. So lots of things were done by WWII servicemen and women, I just don't think this one got done then.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Von Mazur indicated that it is a possible Vietnamese alteration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: