Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AGCA Show Birmingham AL July 11-12 BJCC more pics added

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: AGCA Show Birmingham AL July 11-12 BJCC more pics added Reply with quote

We three 'Garnetts' (My Dad, Weldon and I) will be at the AGCA show in Birmingham AL this weekend. Small Mukden Type 99 Short Rifle Display like in Montgomery last month (see CASC show), See the AGCA Website for more show information.

Pic from previous show

Hope to see you there. Trey

Last edited by gwsiii on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
type-14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, tell me what I missed by not making the drive up today!! Sad
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: show Reply with quote

I didn't get to walk the show today. 11.3 Type 14 pretty nice, a 19.8 Type 94 thick trigger guard, slab grips. Big Paul has a fine 1st series 3rd variation Type 44 on the market. I hope I'll be able to walk the show tomorrow. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. Trey
1886lebel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonmazur wanted me to come to this show so I could set up a WWI French poilu and weapons display but I had a prior engagement I was comitted to here, maybe next year.
Patrick
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: show Reply with quote

Patrick, you should try. Its not the biggest, its not the best, but its what we got, and we have a blast. Von Mazur and I never miss the chance to exchange insults.....
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Pics Reply with quote

We fared pretty well as display awards go, while I was out of the top 10, Daddy took 1st in Arms getting edged out by Remington Revolvers for Best of Show.
My Dad displayed Cowboy era 1873 Winchers and Colts

Alsaka displayed his 'guns of the old west'. I threatened to turn him in as 6 of them are really from the far, far, far west......

I had 'Hen's Teeth' again, Mukden Type 99s.

In all an enjoyable show. Picked up 3 different oilers almost relic shape but will display ok, and a couple cavalry sabers. I'll post pictures in the next few days.

Last edited by gwsiii on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
1886lebel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to tell Dale this for me next time you see him ....
Will you just F@#%ing sell Patrick that Fusil de Tirailleur Indochinois Modèle 1902 for pete's sake and get over holding on to it forever over his head., he needs it more than you do !!!
Patrick
DEFUC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Its the curse of the gun snobs...... Reply with quote

I think your wonderful hoten display gets undercut because so few understand it..everyone grasps peacemakers and 73 winchesters, but John Wayne and Gary Cooper never packed a arisaka,let alone very very rare ones, and unfortunately ,to the dumbmasses,one t-99 looks a whole lot like every other T-99.So every old wanna-be cowboy goes all wet in the knees for common SAA's and such and misses the whole point on your display, you should always get the max points for originality,rarity and quantity if the judges even have a clue, rarity, whats more rare than a series 45.size of display ,hmmm assuming there even 20 know S-45s you have 2.5 of them ,thats 12.5% of all know existant examples,compared to 20 odd peacemakers and rifles? they made millions of those millions ,12.5% of them wouldnt fit in the building..but onfortunately to most people your "THAT GUY WITH THE BUNCH OF OLD Japanese RIFLES" ,and dont get nearly the credit your fine exhibit deserves.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Display Reply with quote

Funny you should mention Gary Cooper and an Arisaka: Look at the end of the work bench....

I thoroughly enjoy it. I usually do really well when I'm in theme. The theme this time was old west, and I was 'far, far, far west' so I wasn't in theme. I was a judge once, and its a very tough thing to do fairly. I have to rely on the display itself to tell me how rare it is. Daddy's 14" Trapper model, might have been the rarest gun there, my Hoten's were certainly close.

There was a new Japanese Displayer there, from Anniston, had a very nice display, I got the parts rifle and stock from him. He'd torn down his display by the time I was able to get out to get 'official pictures'..I did not get to fully introduce myself and talk with him but I believe Alsaka and Ye Kindly Olde Editor did....Crazy Japanese Cop had a nice eclectic display of Japanese Items as always and sported his new Huge Naval Rayed flag that he picked up at the AMCA show for a measly $100, I offered him $102 for it so he could make a little on it without being obscene but he rather-unpolitely declined.

I offended a young man over some Type 92 Ammo strips, he had 2, I told him that I didn't have a Type 92 so had no use for them and that I had almost a full case of strips with the labels intactm so his weren't worth more than $10 a piece to me, he got all bent out of shape and wen't off in a huff after stating that someone else there had 1 for $125, his retort caught me off guard and I snapped back that maybe he ought to go sell his to him....I've got to quit that.

In all a good show, chatted with Old Friends and made a few new ones and added a whole new head full of memories. Think about this the next time you go to a show and can't find anything: How many friends did you see that you only see there, how many times did you smile at something. A gunshow is a social event as well as an avenue to advance our collections. Treat it as both and relish each one individually and you'll never be disappointed.

Last edited by gwsiii on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
DEFUC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you'll find out his were for a type 3,and filled with original 7mm ammo..You were more than generous for a couple old hotchkiss strips,the good full ones ,in the wrapper dont go much higher than that.You should find the guy and sell him yours at $125 ea,throw in the case for another $200 or so,see you never knew you have $2000-3000 in ammo dumped against the wall,in that bunch alone.Ive got some SR AP ammo on rifle style MG clips Id have gladly sold him too,figure if the hotchkiss strip kind is worth $125,id have been willing to sell some of my precious rarer stuff for $250 or so (seem fair Question ).
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: more pics Reply with quote

Here's Oopy38's 1st Place - Best Arms Winchester '73s and Colt Pistols

More of Alsaka's Award Winning Cowboy gun display.

Yours Truly's....Hen's Teeth - Mukden Type 99s

Here's a close up of the Tank Oopy38 built for me.

Last but not least, here's
RetiredTightWadBanker's Colt Single Action display, some very nice items, early too....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: