Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 38 steels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UBE Mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Type 38 steels Reply with quote

I am well aware of the strength of the type 38 and type 99 rifles. As compaired to the US Springfield they are far stronger. What type of steel did the Japanese use?
Smokey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they used carbon steel. The strength came from the selective heat treatment, which had been refined almost to an art. The load-bearing areas had a hard surface, backed up by an extremely tough, strong (not as hard) body.
UBE Mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Type 38 steels Reply with quote

Thanks Smokey. I found a copy of "Hatcher's Notebook" today. He confirms your take on it. Hatcher states that the steel used was similar to our SAE No. 1085, which is a high carbon steel. If any of you get a chance to acquire a copy, do it. It is one great book.
John
riceone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a video of a Japanese sword blade anchored so that a rifle bullet would strick the cutting edge and split the bullet and not harm the blade. It is no wonder that they refined steel to make the strongest action in the world of bolt actions. They fired repeadely at the blade and finally broke it with a 50 cal. Several years ago I chambered a T38 to fire the 7.7x58 cartridge and fired it down the 6.5 barrel with no damage whatsoever to the rifle. riceone.
UBE Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Japanese Steels Reply with quote

Interesting Roy. Maybe we can get Ray to donate a few bayonets next spring to test the strength of them. Shooting a 7.7 bullet through a 6.5 barrel? Remind me not to share hand loading data with you. Not many rifles would have survived that test.
J. Davison
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: bayonets Reply with quote

Oh lets surprise Ray and just sneak in, grab a few, test them, then put 'em back.....
Smokey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those doubters, please refer to the "Blevins Banzi Blowup Tests".
They certainly impressed me!
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blow up test was fun and educational, Roy did a excellent job with that,very carefully done and scientific...The quality stayed with japanese rifles right thru the end of the war too,Ive shot a lot of late war rifles and they are as solid and reliable as their early counter parts,just simpler to make and less refined..Id still like to run afew of the beter training rifles thru the test tube,I suspect they'd hold up just fine,but the testing would be fun.
riceone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Dave we did shoot a trainer at the Blevins shoot several years back. I ran across the action last week. It was the type trainer that the barrel screwed into the front of the chamber cone with fine threads. The hole in the end of the chamber cone looked 6.5. Only shot it one time with a normal 6.5 load. Wonder how many rounds would it take for something to happen. Next time Doss is over here we'll try and see - he won't use the test chamber. Rolling Eyes riceone.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we shot one several times ,4yrs ago I think,myself and the usual "will shoot anything "guy ,he had one of the well finished ones and offered,we each ran 4-5 rds thru it as i recall ,shot just fine. ILL usually shoot about anything (without any safety tube ) too, however,anytime I mention doing it on some boards,I get a lecture from some of the whiners there.
riceone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I read one time that in the early 1900's the Japanese got gun steel from Sweden - anyone else ever read this? riceone.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: link to video Reply with quote

Here is a video where they use a .50 cal on a sword blade. I'm all for late-night 'scientific' tests, but something like this has never appealed to me. So other tests will show up on the page too.

.50 cal vs. sword video
fantazia

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the carbon steel, what else did the Japanese use?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: steel Reply with quote

I'm at a loss...Totally out of my area, anyone else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: