Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

timeline period photo was taken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Other Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1aikol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: timeline period photo was taken Reply with quote

Hello all.

Attached is a photo of either my grandfather or greatgrandfather. My mother was from northern Japan and born in 1925 but she had much older siblings (17 and 19 years older). She just recently died and this was part of her estate. I know from stories she and my father (American soldier)told me that her father or grandfather was a very highly decorated military man. I would just like to know an approximate time period so I can see which of my relatives it is. Her father died in 1938 of cancer so I know it has to be earlier than that. Thanks!

Both of my parents are now gone but I have this from my mother and inherited an extensive military collection from my father (you can see it at www.omsa.org under my user name 1aikol).

Would also love any help with rank, etc. I know the lighting is not good enough for most of the medals and two of them I already identified. My father and mother proudly displayed this at their home along with my father's military items. Unfortunately, I never took the time while they were both alive to ask many questions about it (you know how it is when you are young).
DEFUC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late meiji era,.If you can make out any of the medals and awards he has, you can get closer by what he has or hasnt got .They arent clear enough in the posted image (I can only recognise the order of the rising sun due to its destinct shape in the row of medals) and I belive, the large sacred treasure ,Gold, breast medallion (which would put it post 1888 ,I think) .
1aikol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah, it isn't any clearer in the actual picture. Too old and the light obscured the medals. Any idea of the rank? I always assumed it was my grandfather who died in 1938 at the age of 58. Does this mean it probably was my greatgrandfather instead?
DEFUC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure of his rank,one of the experts will turn up and answer eventually.Im barely sure of the medals ,tho the order of the sacred treasure star is a first class award,(I tend to over look the obvious)its on his left breast with other medals (left breast ,first class,DOH!) .I guess its the great grandfather from the uniform and picture style ,cant see your grandfather choosing to have his portrait done in the old uniform late in his life ,in an outdated style...picture appears to be turn of the century in composition,again JMHO...hope you find out a lot more about him thru your family,he looks like someone of importance,and has a sort of refined diginity about him (ex-samurai???)
1aikol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, my mother's siblings are all dead (her brother died four days after her) so I have no relatives in Japan to contact.

Ex-Samurai may be correct. My mother said she had samurais in her family and they were rich (aristocrats) until she was about ten when they lost everything during a war? Even though she was working class for the rest of her life there was always a bit of snobbery there that she maintained lol.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

I got this from ketoujin (gunnar)....What was his name?

Quote:
From the pic though, it would appear that the dress uniform is Meiji Era - black tunic, pill-box shako. The medals include the Grand Cordon Order of the Sacred Treasure as well as the Order of the Rising Sun First Class. On the medal row on his left breast I thought I spied at least a couple of commemorative enthronement medals - Taisho and Showa - plus the medal commemorating Manchukuoan Emperor Pu Yi's visit to Japan in 1933 or so, can't remember the exact date.

The sword hilt is a typical issue-Type 95 Shin-Gunto which only came out in 1935 so that would date the pic to right before or during WWII. It is entirely plausible that this fellow served during the Meiji period (1868-1912) but kept his Meiji dress uniform and then procured a later period sword for photographic purposes by the '30s. He could have just been given it for the one photo too.

As for finding out his identity, there is one site you could try. I don't know where the guy gets his info but he may be able to help. Check this site out and have the poster maybe e-mail him. Don't know if the webmaster at this site understands English though. http://imperialarmy.hp.infoseek.co.jp/general/jinkokuki.html

The list is pretty much all Show-era general grade officers though. Nothing on earlier periods.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: portrait Reply with quote

Here is another portrait site: http://www.ndl.go.jp/portrait/e/index.html
1aikol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info but I do not need any help identifying who the man is. I knew he was either my grandfather or my greatgrandfather but from the info I got now I know. It was my grandfather. He would have been in his 20's during the Meiji era and this must have been taken just before he died in 1938 at around 50 or so.

Hideaki Ikeda

Born-Unknown approximately 1880-1885
Died-1938 (cancer)
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I missed that one completely,aside from the uniform being meiji and the two awards i could see...knew the date would come down to the medals I couldnt make out.Gunnar is the man when it comes to that sort of stuff .
1aikol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. All of this is so awesome. [/img]
glenood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how sad....I know the feelings when you someone lost in your family because I've been there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Other Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: