Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 99 (short) cleaning rod, monopod dust cover questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Type 99 (short) cleaning rod, monopod dust cover questions Reply with quote

I just purchased a Type 99 short rifle and am looking for an appropriate cleaning rod, monopod (and related parts minus the barrel band) and dust cover. From what I have been able to look up, I believe it is a Series 1 Nagoya made rifle. It has the Nagoya factory marking (two circles inside a larger one) and the Japanese Katakana character "i" which looks like a "T" slanted to the left. Serial number is in the high 98,000's.

Are there different types of cleaning rods (shapes, finish, etc.) and monopods for the 99 short? If so, any suggestions on what I need to look for?

Thanks in advance,
Blaine
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: 99 Short rifle Reply with quote

If your rifle is a first series, it would have a monopod, it should have a square push button cleaning rod catch which would indicate the 23 3/4" rod. Originals will run you about $200, Don Schlickman at dfsjpn@aol.com makes good repro pods and rods, both would probably be under $100. An original pod will have the ij inspection mark on the base of the front loop. Rod will have the same ij on the barrel or top of the tip. See the Type 99 datasheet link in my signature below for illustrations of the inspection marks. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks for posting. Trey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll have to check the rifle's features when I get it back. I live in California and am required to wait seven more days before I can pick it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: