Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do I start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buford

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Where do I start? Reply with quote

I have a Japanese rifle that looks quite different from the others. No mum, never had one. No serial number that I can find. About 6" longer than the others I own. Where do I start in order to identify it?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Rifle Reply with quote

Pictures are best, chances are, with no markings, it is a trainer. They are sort of hard to identify. 1 hole, 2 holes, or no holes in the top of the reciever is the first step. I'll try and dig up a Trainer datasheet. Send me your email address. Thanks for posting. Trey
buford

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Where do I start? Reply with quote

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:03 pm Post subject: Where do I start?
Thanks for the response.

My camera is on the fritz, so I'll start with the similarities I can find as pictured on your Model 99 Data Sheet.

Two holes on the top of the receiver, with 3 Japanese characters between them.

Front sight appears to be the "C" type.

Front band "D", but with a screw.

Neither rear barrel band, nor rear sight, are similar to anything pictured. Numbers go up to 24 on sight.

Bolt handle "A".

Safety knob "A".

Bolt release "A".

The floor plate release is located in the front of the trigger guard.

Stock appears to be a "B".

Rear sling swivel appears to be "A".

Butt plate appears to be "A".

Thanks in advance for your help.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Trainer Reply with quote

2 holes indicates a Type 38 style trainer. Are there any other marks on the stock or receiver? I'll try and scan a Trainer datasheet and email you. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: