Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stock wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
car99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: stock wood Reply with quote

What kind of wood were the arisaka stocks made of? Was it local or imported? I know about the urushi varnish but nothing of the wood.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Stock wood Reply with quote

I'm still researching, will try and have you some sort of definitive answer by the weekend. Sorry for the delay. Trey
car99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: wood stock Reply with quote

I saw an old posting by Vulch from downunder where they talked about almost every kind of wood: maple, ash, birch, teak and others, but nobody seemed to know for sure. My computer has really been on strike and won't let me register on Gunboards either.
szeigler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Wood used for Stocks Reply with quote

Car99,

I am shooting from the hip on this. I can't find the article on line that address this. I think I have it at home, and will look this weekend. So here it goes....

Caveat: This only applies to rifles I am smart on, Type 30's and on. So anything pre 1897, it beyond my depth, Stan Zeilinski is the expert on all of this. He's been a woodworker for over 40 years.

I don't think the Japanese ever relied on domestic hardwoods as their primary source of stock blanks. Pre-World War Two guns, say before 1930 give or take 5 years, used imported U.S. American Black Walnut as well as other Asian hardwoods. After the embargo against the Japanese (so that would make it 1937, I think) was established they no longer used U.S. woods. They also used a walnut from China, but it was not as hard a Black walnut. As the war progressed and they become more deperate they then used any hardwood they could aquire. I've been told it come from the Phillipines, Korea etc.... I also think (I have no proof) that they used locally procured woods closest to the given Arsenal. For example, Jinsen used Korean hardwoods, Hoten (Mukden) used Chinese woods. Of interest, Nagoya 4th Series has a run of about 20,000-30,000 (10K to 40K serial number range) guns that exhibited a light colored, wide-grained wood. It is very noticable if you compare next to an earlier Nagoya. That a long answer to say, I really don't know for sure. I will look for the article this weekend and if I find it fill in the blanks and correct my mistakes.

I trust this helps. So little is documented, but is sure a fun mystery to unravel.

Regards, Shannon
j hawk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, Very Happy
In the manual book of T-30 rifle, it is being described that walnut tree, fir tree, and Japanese Judas tree were used as a material of the stock.
However,I do not have the documents of reliable evidence about the stock of other rifles.

I do not have the documents of reliable evidence though the cherry blossoms tree etc. were used for the stock of T-38. Crying or Very sad

Regards,
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Stock wood Reply with quote

J Hawk, Thank you! Trey
car99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: stock wood Reply with quote

Thanks all for the info. People have told me they would use whatever they could get easiest. But you have to think there was some care given to selecting a quality wood.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Type 38 Stock Wood link Reply with quote

Here is a link to J Hawk's translation of the stock wood used in the Type 38 rifles as described in the Type 38 Manual.
Stock Wood
car99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey, thanks for the GB page, I missed half of the postings. Is it just my imagination or does the 99 show up with more dings than the 38 or 44? It seems like the wood is less dense and the softer Judas tree stuff......Jim
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Stock wood Reply with quote

I have no documented facts, just observations. I think the wood in 99s was a softer wood, than on 38s and 44s. It seems to me that the later Toyo Kogyo finish is a harder more protective finish than that used at Kokura and Nagoya. You'll see lots of ding and bruises on those, but usually the later Toyos (33rd, 34th, and 35th series) have good stocks with many less dings and bruises than those from other arsenals. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: