Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

03 Springfield vs the Type 99

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kavan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: 03 Springfield vs the Type 99 Reply with quote

Interesting side note in "The Pacific" about the marines finding a crate of M-1's and making the comment about the Army (at least in the early battles) always getting the better equipment. In the battle scenes the marines appeared to be struggling with the 03's in loading time and maintaining a steady rate of fire as one would expect with a bolt action rifle. An M-1 would of made a big difference in that kind of close combat with an overwhelming force charging your position.

For those of you that have fired both the 03 and the Type 99, who had the edge as far as the basic combat rifle is concerned when they were up against each other ?
oopy38

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: 03 Vs T99 Reply with quote

This is a good question and perhaps a good experiment for the Blevins Shoot Out during the Memorial Day weekend holiday. Perhaps a speed test with accuracy considered, and then a slow fire for accuracy only. Can you other readers offer any other ideas?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: scientific study Reply with quote

Oh, goody! A scientific study. Rolling Eyes ...We'll pencil that in on the 'to do' list....
Dave, make a note....I'll have to pilfer an 03 from somewhere, hhhmmm....
DEFUC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion, for what thats worth,having shot both ,is the 03 is superior on the range,but the arisaka is likely superior in the field.the sights on the T99 arent up to precision target work,however the large orfice sight and easy aiming arisaka is quicker to find a target and score consistant center of mass hits.When everything is said and done,I belive its a matter of the man ,not the machine in that duel,and tactics not equippment carried the day....however the "test" sounds like a lot of fun.You can count me in on the japanese side,I expect in a speed trial,shooting for hits rather than ring score,My t38 is equal or superior to a '03 especially on the ranges at Blevins.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the range at blevins,Id rather use Treys trench gun tho,LOL
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: ideas Reply with quote

I have a plan...
stopwatch, 1 torso/mass target, 5-10 rounds each station, 5 stations. Fire 10, move quickly to next station. Ammo will be placed at each station so nobody is running (or waddling in my case) with a loaded weapon. Avg. Time/Score for each participant, each weapon.
I'd imagine that some military entity had already done a similar test. It would just be a matter of finding the information.
Would make for an interesting blanket match.
oopy38

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: scientific study Reply with quote

gwsiii wrote:
Oh, goody! A scientific study. Rolling Eyes ...We'll pencil that in on the 'to do' list....
Dave, make a note....I'll have to pilfer an 03 from somewhere, hhhmmm....

Just where do you plan on finding an '03??? Seems I remember you made disparaging remarks about mine when i got it! Smile Very Happy
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: 03 Reply with quote

Wasn't it broken? Hadn't you and Andrew told me not to buy any more broken guns, ever?
DEFUC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well used ones need love too....thats true of guns and most other things actually
Play nice with him so you can use his 03,cause even if we could sneak it out of your secret evil lair, he'd recognise it at the shootout and kick yer butt..I think Don has at the very least a M-17 which we might should let in the trials,to be fair..and likely a '03 or 2 (based on his chosen ID) and a couple of the others always drag along a 03 ..the real nice guy with the van load of stuff (damn Im bad with names lately,must be from gettin sick for so long) has 1-3 usually.
oopy38

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Shooting Trials Reply with quote

I have a 1917 somewhere....Trey, have you got it?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

1917 Enfield? What enfield? I think I remember it being here somewhere.

Bill Simon...Anyone called him?

I think we are going to be asked to set up a WWI and WWII display on May 15, 9-4 at the Baptist Church up here.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO not Bill S ,did his health improve, I sure missed that guy last year.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

We should probably include both foreign and domestic enfields as well. If you're planning to attend/participate please bring any extra ammo and torso sized targets you may have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: