Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMCA Show - Alabama Military Collectors 6/27/09

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: AMCA Show - Alabama Military Collectors 6/27/09 Reply with quote

I took the kids to Huntsville yesterday morning to take in the AMCA (Alabama Military Collectors Association) show. It's smaller than most, but a very well layed out affair. Aisles are wide, seating behind tables was generous! The quality of merchandise was excellent. What more could you ask for.

I picked up a few things that were being delivered for me, and found several other nice things for reasonable prices. As always, the Whites (BANZAI) had an interesting display with an excellent spread of stuff for sale/trade, including some impressive cases of Japanese Insignia from the Johnson estate. The Labar's were there with a fine selection of early to late Japanese bayonets on display and Raymond always knows where to find, that 1 last bayonet that you need. 'Fuji' Rogers had a nice display and I picked up a few things from his trade selection area as well. The other displays were amazing. I was in such a hurry, I didn't ask if I could take pictures, I really have to remember to do that. The displays there really deserved to be shared! I've missed this show several times in the past for a variety of reasons, the most common being it was scheduled the same weekend as the CASC shows in Montgomery. As long as there are no more conflicts, I'll continue to go, and probably set up next time. You should too! Very well done....

Unlike most shows, the local press did not appear to have a pre-conceived distaste for shows or those attending. The reporter I spoke to genuinely seemed interested so I answered his questions openly. While being slightly misquoted, its still a good story:
Huntsville Times AMCA show article.

If you're in the area for the next one, plan on attending, I understand some very nice items got snapped up Friday evening/Saturday morning, but there were still treasures to be had when we arrived, so hope to see you there. Trey
Jareth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"misquoted"? I think I all together missed your quote! Please post some photos of what you've added to your collection!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: misquoted Reply with quote

Misquoted as in he didn't quite get the description I gave him of the Type 44's use by Japanese Cavalry Troops in the China Campaign.

Having a little trouble with postimage.org will post pictures in the morning. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

Here's a breakdown of the haul left to right:
2 modern Japanese themed 'hankys' for the kids
Japanese Fireman's Sword Belt with kanji (Id'd and translated by Edokko)
Kokura 23rd series 91k Range Type 99 Short Rifle (un-numbered bolt, never pod)
(2) Type 99 firing pins 1 spring
Green Printed Silk Nippon Times Souvenir Handkerchief
Bakelite Single Top Cavarly Pouch Oiler
Jinsen Education bayonet/scabbard
Siamese Mauser bayonet/scabbard
1888 Austrian Bayonet - Siamese Marked
Type 18 Murata bayonet/scabbard

Jinsen education bayonets were un-numbered and marked with the kanji (like the rifles) 'For Education'. Known range for rifles is 3 to the mid-upper 300's with a flyer reported in MRoJ of 13xx which may be mis-reported.

The bolt body appears to be a very early Style. I've got to clean it up a bit to clearly id the other inspection marks on it.

Quote:
The belt of yours is a fireman’s sword belt, very cool and interesting. The writing is “44th out of 45 donated by person to remain anonymous. July 1937”.

Translation of the Kanji on the belt courtesy of Edokko, Thanks Edokko, your knowledge, help, time and effort is greatly appreciated!

I also picked up my Dad's Presents for the next few special occasions. Depending on how 'good' he is, (ie. what he gets me between now and then) will determine what/when/where and how many he'll get at each occasion Twisted Evil ....
Jareth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great items! Thanks for posting them!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

Jareth Thanks, glad to be able to share. Trey
blackwidow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is their any antique knife there?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: show Reply with quote

Usually, several different types of military knives/bayonets and such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: