Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reloading 6.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reloading 6.5 Reply with quote

I have tried 6.5 Norma brass with the same problems mentioned in a number of threads here. Today I tried the Prvi brass which did work somewhat better but the action was a bit stiff on opening to eject the fired case. I noticed some swelling of the brass at rear and have included a photo of it. The photo shows two cases fired this morning the top case has been resized, the bottom has not. Load was 31.8 grs IMR4064 with a 139 FMJ bullet.

Is this type swelling to be expected with the loose chambers on Model 38s?

You can also see on the unsized case a smooth area to the rear of the swelling, this matches a very smooth area of the chamber. The difference inside the chamber shows up by the way it reflects the light.

cwbrel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty good bulge. I've not used their 6.5 x 50. I've had no problem with the 6.5 x 52 and 7.7 x 58. I also had good luck reforming the 6.5 x 52 to 7.35 x 51. Did you try it in multiple rifle or just one?

It's been referred to as an addiction. I can live with that.
Kirby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the one, it is the only rifle I have in that caliber.
smzeigler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirby,

The case bulging you are experiencing is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Some folks will place one layer of scotch tape around the case head to snug the case in the chamber. I don't think it is worth the time and effort. In my experience the case neck with split before the case head fails.

Regards, Shannon
Kirby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Looks like I need to polish that chamber a bit.
Smokey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, if you don't have any extraction problems, just leave the chamber as is. I would use a bronze chamber brush and solvent to make sure it's clean, but that's all.
Cases normally bulge a little on one side with a lot of old surplus rifles. The extractor presses the case against one side of the chamber, so the case will expand more on the other side to fill the chamber.
I generally "custom fit" a batch of brass for a particular rifle.
I put a narrow strip of tape around the case head to keep it centered. I also fireform by using a mild load, and grease the case so it slides back against the face of the bolt (prevents stretching and thinning near the head).
After the first firing, I clean the cases, neck size and use my normal "working load" for the particular rifle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: