Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newly aquired Type 38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pasadena tim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Newly aquired Type 38 Reply with quote

I recently aquired this Type 38. I was really impressed with these rifles. I always thought of the Japanese rifles as being poorly made and not attractive (I like my M-1 and 1903). However, I'm starting to gain more appreciation for these under rated rifles.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: 38 Reply with quote

That's a nice one! They'll grow on you if you're not careful. I started with 1, in 1993. I have a few more than that now. Thanks for posting! Trey
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: T-38 26th Series Reply with quote

Your rifle is indeed in very good condition. It is from the 26th Series made at the Kokura Army Arsenal in approximately April 1941. That is long before production quality declined as a result of Japan's declining position in WWII. The Kokura 26th Series is an incomplete series (normally each series has 100,000 units) so yours is a bit hard to find.

Generally, the severe decline in quality of Japanese rifles is restricted to the Type 99 short rifles, but all Japanese weapons tent to get tagged as poorly made as a result. The steady decline in quality of Type 99s is an interesting study in itself, but the Type 38s never really lost their high quality and your rifle is an excellent example of this.

Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Smokey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till you start shooting it! They can be real tack drivers. Additionally, the Type 38 is probably the strongest and safest bolt action rifle ever made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: