Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yugo 6.5 x 51r brass?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe in Fla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Yugo 6.5 x 51r brass? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this brass? What's your opinion of it?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: brass Reply with quote

I don't have any reloading experience, maybe someone will drop by with some info. Sorry. Trey
1gewehr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used the 6.5x51r brass. I have used the Prvi .303 Savage and 8x50R Lebel brass. So far, it has been fine. But I do not have any cases that have been loaded more than twice, so there is no telling how well the brass will hold up.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prvi 6.5x51 brass is the best brass available right now for the arisaka..Ive loaded thousands of rounds of it and no complaints at all. Norma is ok for the occassional batch but the cost is prohibitive and there isnt any real ly appreciable differnce in quality, you may get a couple more reloadings with the norma,but you pay 2 1/2 times as much to start with . the last couple years the 6.5x51 is all I use for the t-38's
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont sweat the 51 part (if thats the part your concerned about). Its been called 6.5x50, 50.5 and 51 over the decades. This is good brass for the price and i, like dave ,have done alot of loading with it with great results. However i have run into small issues that i think are worth noting. One is that privy primer pockets are tight and might need a little work with a chamfer tool or crimp remover to ease primer seating. The other is variations in rim thickness that can alter what shell holder(s) you use. Not guaranteed problems, just things to keep in mind if you encounter difficulties. Norma is also great brass, but retail cost is pretty high. I only get some when i find it loose in gun shops or shows for bargain prices.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Cow, Its Rockhill!!!!!! Long time no hear/see..thought you'd ran off to collect saki cups or something.
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dave, how ya been? I have to pull away from the internet thing everynow and then, lotta stupidity flying around lately. But Im feeling rusty and out of practice and recently got a new 99, so im in the mood.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im getting by, about moved on from japanese rifles,for the moment anyway.still doing the reloading thing,and now mainly collecting military sporters and oddities,assorted carbines etc.
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you still coming to the shootout right?
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about this year, the missus has a lot of medical stuff going on,maybe right in the middle of the shootout,so i may miss this year, if so ILL be there the next one ,not sure I can stand missing it tho, or my week of visiting with Trey and his family, still very uncertain this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: