Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sling Characters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwbrel

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Sling Characters Reply with quote

Just got this T38, the sling is very brittle and broken, but these characters are on it

and I can't quite make out the characters after the arsenal mark

or these in the stock channel

There is also this on the stock

Thanks. Once I figure out what the number is on the dust cover, I'll send the data sheet.

It's been referred to as an addiction. I can live with that.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

That looks like it will clean up really nice! Any chance there is an anchor in the stock?

The sling numbers (in yellow) look to be 1 9 then 5 4. Hopefully someone will come along and confirm/refute. We'll have to get Frank in to look at the other marks. Almost look like initials in the barrel channel. Thanks for posting! Trey
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Sling KANJI Reply with quote

The sling is marked with what we would call a "rack number" in Japanese characters. The first two (within the circle) are 一九 or 19 and the second group are 五四 or 54. The character on the butt of the stock is probably エ the katakana character for "e". Again it functioned as some sort of quick identifier, probably of a unit in that case.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
cwbrel

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Any suggestions on trying to preserve it given the extreme brittleness of the leather?

Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Leather treatment Reply with quote

The museum people say to do nothing, but I don't buy that. I use a leather treatment called Picard that seems to be a great restorer and prevents further cracking (in my very humble opinion). Apply the Picard after cleaning with saddle soap. It is hard to find, but try a tackle and harness shop if you have one available.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
oopy38

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Leather Treatment Reply with quote

Picards is very good. I have used it for years. "Doing Nothing" just does not make good sense.
Jareth

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be fore warned Picards will darken the leather.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: leather Reply with quote

As Jareth says, Pecard's will darken the leather. Using leather treatment can be a double edged sword, almost all of it will change the color or feel of what it is applied to. Just be sure that you are comfortable with the benefits (preservation) vs. the risks (discoloration/texture change). Some of it feels sticky until you get it all rubbed in and absorbed. Trey
cwbrel

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Given the dark color and the poor condition of the sling I'll give it a try.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: