Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alabama Storms/Shoot out update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Alabama Storms/Shoot out update Reply with quote

I've since talked or heard from/about some of the shootout participants as being ok. We were without power for a few days, half a tree on the house but all intact. Blevins', Labars, Morris', Stancils, Taylors, Whites all ok. Being without power for a few days, I didn't realize how extensively the storms tracked across the country.

I talked to Bobby 5/2 - The Shoot Out is coming up...So Keep yer powder dry....
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: shootout Reply with quote

The shootout has come and gone, great guns, great people, great times. Folks, we build memories and friendships that will last for years to come. Its really hard to describe what you are missing. This weekend you could have seen, Minty Kokura Sniper, Several Type 2s, a 'few' 99s were also there, including series' 12 and 45, a Mexican Arisaka, Mukden Mauser, just about anything you could ask for was there. One gentleman in attendance was tickled to find an 1897 trench gun to study, photograph and shoot. A zero cockpit gun (vickers) on a ground mount, a StG44 (Sturmgewehr), and a couple other things. Bob was there with his Big Custom Johnson, the mg34 ran well as well as the 99 lmg, 96lmg, and the Type 11. The food was great, the beverages cold, and the locusts were humming. Finest kind, no other way to describe it. You should have been there! Hope to see you next year!

2009 Shootout YouTube Video Link

Last edited by gwsiii on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: video Reply with quote

I've added a link to a video from the 2009 Blevins Shoot. I'll try and make one from the 2011 shoot and post later.
type-14

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: shoot Reply with quote

Here are a few more photos of the weekends events. REALLY great seeing everyone and enjoying the stories almost as much as the shooting. Trey, I still say that was a bear sleeping in the tent next to mine and he was even drowning you out!!

gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: shoot Reply with quote

Bears there were,
an 'even' three,
Aaron, Scott, and little ole me...

My tent was between the two and it took two quarts of NightKill to make it through till morning...

Distance award was almost a tie,
We had two participants from Japan,
two participants from New Zealand,
the Kiwis edged out the Japanese attendees on a technicality, they stayed for the duration and Tsuki and Terry work here in the States. The Kiwis were here for R&R.
smzeigler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

2011 Shootout has come and gone. It was too fast, too fun and a good time as always. Trey thanks for your cooking skills and bring out your very nice Mexican Arisaka. I truly enjoyed the fellowship, meeting new folks and catching up with old friends. I'll try to post some photos as time permits.

Enjoyed it, Shannon
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Some other things have come to mind. If I repeat something I've mentioned previously just ignore it.

The Two-Dons brought some interesting stuff. Don S. had some wonderful super rare Pistols on display (imperial gift hint hint...incidentally I'm convinced everyone has the translation on these incorrect, that they actually read "property of Trey") and pictures of his collection and some seriously hard to find reproduction parts. I availed myself of a Type 18 rod and a Siamese Mauser rod. I still need original rods for my complete satisfaction (that sounds bad) but these will do just fine for now! Don V., while showing off a very affordable Type 44 and replacement stock for same, was tasked with keeping Ye Kindly Old Editor, the Grasshopper King, and the Kiwi contingent from streaking down the knee mortar range for reasons known only to them.

Type-14 lived up to his name, a Type 14 Cutaway, A serial number 1, and some other equally rare birds from that family. He brought along a couple ropeholes for show and tell on loan from a friend that....oh nevermind.... Big Paul brought some pretty neat wares, Shannon had his 99 light and some of the nicest Siamese weapons I've seen, I couldn't quite sneak them out of the nuthouse, Shannon is always up for letting someone "rock and roll" on the 99 light (some folks calls it "firing full auto, I likes to call it Rock-n-Roll"), whether it be 7.7, .308, or 7.62x39. Mike brought some battle damaged goodies that were quite enviable, he always has a few things I need. John D had a Trapdoor Springfield that was a pleasure to fire, he also had a great shooter grade 26th series Nagoya, 8 digits away from one of mine (why if I had a dollar) and one of those neat .22 Mosin style trainers that the kids doted on all weekend. I never heard the results of their Enfield vs Mosin .22 trainer match, but it lasted for 2 days, luckily there are still grooves in both barrels for next year... Vince D. had all sorts of wonderful goodies for firing; 1871 Mauser Carbine, something English, something French, something from a Japanese Zero and several other foreign oddities, he made sure everyone got to fire each if they were interested. Vince probably wins the Around the World in 80 weapons award for most countries firearms represented at the shootout and it was definitely appreciated!

The youngsters and newbies got to fire everything at least once, and burned through several thousand rounds including pellets, .22 lr, and other stuff. For some it is a once in a lifetime thing.
smzeigler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

Trey has covered most of the interesting weapons, so I thought I'd add a few "slice of shootout life" shots. Trey is our defacto chef and kept us well feed with omelets, red beans and rice, ribs and other goodies. Some folks sleep in their cars, camp on site or for the weak or old hotels are nearby - always a fun event. Mark your calendar for 2012.

Enjoy, Shannon

gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: shootout Reply with quote

forgot about the best part, or maybe it never happened, hard to say...

cruising chicks in the parking lot/campground/knee mortar range...

The 5 R's (rehydrate, relax, ridicule, research, & remembrance)

gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: 2012 Shootout is ON!! Reply with quote

I've spoken with the proprietor and the 2012 Shootout is on. Blevins Mountain here we come!
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun and be safe yuh'all ..Im marking the days,even tho Im not going,LOL.Just under 2 months to go Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: