Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anthony 'Tony' Sazera, Staff Sgt, U.S. Army-Pacific Theater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Remembering Our Veterans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Anthony 'Tony' Sazera, Staff Sgt, U.S. Army-Pacific Theater Reply with quote

Anthony Sazera (b.1917 d.2011) is my grandfather on my Mother's side. He received his Bronze Star and Purple Hearts fighting on some of the smaller islands in the Pacific Theater, but says he's most proud of his Combat Infantryman's Badge. He has never had a bad word to say about MacArthur, believes his strategy help save lives and end the war. Grandaddy, lived in Tarrant, Alabama with his wife Betty, whom he married after returning home from the war. He still can't sleep through the night due to nightmares, but never complains other than to say he figures he's only got a couple of 'good years' left, of course he's been saying that since he was 50. He died at 93, and always said he didn't bring anything back but himself and a pair of shoes, but recently gave me some pictures he had found in a cave and forgotten about, of a young Japanese Soldier and his family. We've got a few stories from him, I'll post more later.
Thanks Grandaddy!
43rd Division, 103rd Infantry Regiment:
Guadalcanal - no enemy contact, ..."they bombed the 'hell' out of us though."
Russell Islands - enemy contact, relocated to New Georgia on two destroyers in the middle of the night.
New Georgia - enemy contact, also fought with 4th Marine Raiders
New Guinea - enemy contact, contracted fever, carried out by natives
Philippines, Luzon - enemy contact wounded, evacuated
Gaudalcanal - 3 months
Philippines - enemy contact - Ipo Dam Manila

Last edited by gwsiii on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:32 am; edited 3 times in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Tony Sazera, my Grandaddy is 91, I went by to visit him and to drop off some soup and this Army/Purple Heart Presidential Shadow box that I got for him from Products for Good. They also donate a portion of each sale to various Veteran's organizations and help groups around the country.
I think he really liked it.

Here's a picture of him 'in the day'

And here is a picture of him with the shadow box and his Great-Grandaughter Isabella.

The inscription says:
To: S/Sgt Tony Sazera, 'Grandaddy', for his service, with Love and Respect...
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Grandaddy turned 92 a few weeks ago, we've discussed maybe going to DC to see the WWII Veteran's Memorial at Thanksgiving.

I received an update from Products For Good for the Shadow Boxes, I confirmed the email independently, if you click on one of the links below and purchase one of their products, they will donate an extra 10%.
To purchase and for more information on Products for Good, please visit their website.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Anthony Sazera Reply with quote

Tony Sazera, My Grandad died July 7, 2011, he was 93.
After the war he married a widow with 2 children, and started rebuilding his and their lives. He was later blessed with 2 more children. He raised each as his own. He was owner/operator of Tarrant Gulf for many years, and later owner/operator HGC of Anthony's Septic Service in Tarrant until he retired.

I want to thank him again for his service to our country, and, his family!
Rest in Peace S/Sgt Anthony Sazera. Thank you.

I'll take my eggs fried (like my potatoes) with some bacon and toast if that's ok with you Grandaddy....
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: AGCA Show Reply with quote

Rather than do my normal display, My Dad, Weldon and I set up a display in remembrance of my Grandfather's Service. We received lots of nice comments, and 'thanks'.

oopy38

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: My Father-in-Law, Tony Reply with quote

In later years Tony would talk about the war. We featured a Thompson and a Garand in the memorial display as these were the two weapons he carried. He told me that the Thompson and spare ammo was too heavy, and after his 2nd day in combat, he "lost" the Thompson and "found" a Garand that he carried the rest of the war. He was a good man who will be missed. The military "Honor Guard" ceremony was very emotional. The two members were combat veterans who, when I thanked them for being there, advised me that it was "an honor to serve"! S/Sgt Anthony Sazera, Rest In Peace.......
type-14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say that I am sorry for the whole family's loss. I do want to add that you guys did a great thing by doing this display and paying tribute to him and his service to this nation.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: At rest Reply with quote

S/Sgt Anthony Sazera - Rest in Peace

gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: another tribute Reply with quote

Another Tribute to Grandaddy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Remembering Our Veterans All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: