Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DID THE JAPANESE USE THE SNIDER RIFLE??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROBERT H.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: DID THE JAPANESE USE THE SNIDER RIFLE?? Reply with quote

HI
A friend of mine has a snider rifle that has Japanese marking s on the barrel and on the tang??
I did not know that the Japanese used them
Any history known about it?
Best Regards
Bob
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: snider Reply with quote

I don't have a lot. I think they were used in the Satsuma Rebellion and Boshin Civil War. I don't have a lot of info on them, but some of the folks that wander through here do. Hopefully they'll post some. Got any pictures? Thanks for posting! Trey
ROBERT H.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: JAPANESE SNIDER ?? Reply with quote

Hi
I tried to save the two pictures he sent me but for some reason I can not,
If I can later I will send them
Best regards
bob
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

You can email them to me if you want and I'll post them. Email address is below.
ROBERT H.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: POSTING PICTURES OF JAPANESE SNIDER RIFLE? Reply with quote

HI
Here are the pictures of the Japanese snider rifle They are all that I have to post
Best regards
Bob

Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Japanese Snider Enfield Reply with quote

Dear Robert H;

These short rifles were the standard weapons of the Imperial Japanese Army and other Japanese military forces from the late 1870s through the introduction of the Murata Type 13 rifle in 1880 and probably served well into the 1890s and somewhat longer as training weapons. The Japanese purchased Snider conversions that had already been made to Enfield percussion rifles and converted many of their Enfields to the Snider cartridge system at the Tokyo Arsenal. I believe your rifle is of the later category as there are some Tokyo Arsenal inspection marks on the action. In IJA service their nomenclature was "Enfield Snider Rifles". The Japanese even issued a Japanese-language manual for them.

Additional details can be found in Japanese Imported Arms Of The Early Meiji Era, which I co-wrote.

These Japanese versions are very hard to find and are very desirable.
Congrats on a nice find.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: link Reply with quote

Thanks Frank, I added a link to the book, Japanese Imported Arms Of The Early Meiji Era...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: