Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korean 99 conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: korean 99 conversion Reply with quote

where can i find information on the Koren 99 conversion?

i have conflicting information on finish and markings.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: what kind1 Reply with quote

The finish is usually a flat phosphate finish, most feel like matching or mummed specimens are suspect. The receiver should be notched. The mag box extended. Lots of little things that are hard to describe. markings are US CAL 30 some have dots some don't. hard to speculate on. I personally think there are a lot more out there than first thought.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: several thread Reply with quote

Couple of threads on the subject:
US CL 30 Thread One

US CL 30 Thread Two
david cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

other things i have been told
only barrels re finished not receivers
only chrome bores
all new barrels not just re-chambered original barrels
all metal parked
green park like 1903a3
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: things Reply with quote

I've seen both chrome and non chrome barrels on what I thought were good ones. I read somewhere that the chrome barrels messed with the chamber reamers so they dropped using chrome barrel models. I don't believe they rebarreled them too much trouble. The 'modern' green is one of the more suspect finishes. No reason to put new barrels on. But, in the absence of a document that spells out the entire process, all we can do is report what we've seen. So take it all with a grain of salt.
david cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
the links to other post helped.
david
ronin48

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Receivers were parkerized, my first Korean Conversion was a receiver that Camey out of a parts box and the green was missing over 25-50% of the blue. And it's a bitch to work wiwtth chrome barels. I asked Ruth's son to thread a couple of barrels for lamps, the first he tried was chrome and it was a bugger. He said after the first the second, non chrome, was like threading butter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: