Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any for sale?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Any for sale? Reply with quote

Hey, i'm really interested in buying a Type 38 rifle. Seeing as you guys are pretty much collectors/'experts' in the area of WWII Japanese rifles, I wanted to know if you can recomend a good website at which I can purchase one of these rifles, or, if maybe you've got one you would sell at a 'semi-reasonable' price. I am looking for one without a ground Mum and in relatively good condition (with cleaning rod and dust cover if possible). I know it sounds kind of picky, but I really have taken a liking to Arisakas and want to find a good one for my first.

-Erich
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Type 38 Reply with quote

Erich, welcome to the world of Arisakas. Your best option is a gunshow or someone here or on one of the other boards, for a decent starter 38. If you have the $$$ I would suggest the 24th series 99 listed with the dummy lmg on the buy/sell/trade board. I'm sure the Oldeone would make you a package deal. Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. However, before going too much further, you might consider one of the available reference books. Military Rifles of Japan by Fred Honeycutt Jr and F. Patt Anthony ($42), or Japanese Military Rifles of WWII by Duncan McCollum ($20). MRoJ is 'bible' for Japanese Rifle collectors and is available from the author, see the reference section. Good Luck, let us know how you come out. Thanks for posting. Trey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
do you think you can take a look at

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/otsWBjp_arisaka.htm

for me and tell me what would be the best choice would be out of all of the rifles shown? I'm thinking (based on looks) that the best choices would be the Series 5 38 Carbine, the Model 99 Training Rifle w/bayonet, or the early production Model 30 w/ DUST COVER AND BAYONET(!!!!). That last one particularily tickles my fancy. The 'extras' make up for the Mum being ground. Your advice would be much appreciated!

-Erich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CORRECTION: that would be the Model 38 not 30.
Erich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehhhhhhhh i've been forgetting to log in! Just in case you were wondering who wrote those last two posts.

-Erich
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: What to buy? Reply with quote

Erich, there is a button on the logon screen 'always log me in'. If you're not AOLing it should work fine for you. I'd lean towards the 38. It looks to be the best one of the bunch, I feel like its about $50 too much though. $225 for rifle, $50 for bayonet is more to my thinking. Doss did not bring 24th or rubber lmg to show. I'll try and get some pictures from him this week. Trey
Erich

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the M.38 with the dust cover and bayonet was the one I was thinking also, but the training rifle is interesting. I'd like to find out if it has any markings on the reciever (it says it never had a Mum). What makes a 'trainer' any different than the reg. service rifle? It's in the same caliber (7.7)...

Thanks for the advice, I'll call the number listed on the site and see if I can't get some more money together and order it.

-Erich
HowdyDoody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Any for sale? Reply with quote

Erich, others will answer too, I'm sure, but DONT SHOOT LIVE AMMO IN TRAINING RIFLES. They were made to shoot blanks or simply clickers. Some have cast iron receivers, others are made of parts from obsolete or captured rifles. A collecting field all it's own. Some are nicely finished and "look " better than late war type 99s. Buy Honeycutt's book. $42 is probably less than your insurance co-pay at the emergency room and a few followups at your Doctors office. Seriously It's money well spent to learn what you are considering buying.
jim
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Trainer Reply with quote

Erich, the trainer is probably in 6.5, although its called a 99 style trainer. If it was designed to fire at all, it would most likely be with 6.5 blanks or gallery rounds. Never fire a trainer! Trey
Erich

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh. I see. So the majority of trainers aren't shootable? Aww. I actually was thinking of buying that one (because it's cheaper), probably because it's not able to take live rounds. Anyway can you tell me the difference between semi-rimless and rimless 6.5 ammo? If I purchase the Model 38 on that site I'd like to know what ammunition to buy. Also, thanks for the advice, I'll look for that book. Is it really unlikely that the trainer is not shootable? Somewhat disappointing if so.

-Erich
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Trainers Reply with quote

Trainers are not shootable. There are rifles, retired from service and issued to schools for training, that are mis-identified as trainers that are generally ok to shoot. Best rule of thumb, Mum or remnants of a mum, probably ok to shoot, anything else, forget about it.

Hornady is making ammo for 6.5 Japanese and 7.7 Japanese. Go to www.grafs.com, click on 'hornady' under AMMO on the left, then click on 'Graf & Sons Exclusive Ammo & Components' and scroll down to 6.5 Japanese and 7.7 Japanese. MrNambu on Auction Arms/Gunbroker sells good commercial style reloads. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: