Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-chambering to 30-06???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
270Handiman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re-chambering to 30-06??? Reply with quote

A guy on E-Bay is selling a barrel that has been re-chambered to 30-06. Is there anything wrong with this, assuming you would still be using the correct size .311 diameter bullets? Has anyone tried anything like this???

Thanks,

riceone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: 30-06 T99 Barrel Reply with quote

I have changed a number of barrels on T99's. I put a barrel rechambered to 30-06 on a T99 action. There is nothing wrong or dangerous about it if done properly. The chances of the barrel screwing up to the match marks is about 50/50. If it lacks a little you can remove metal off the shoulder of the barrel to make it match. If it screws too far you have major problems. But I have not run into that yet. In my limited experience I have found that if the barrel just needs 1/8 to 1/4 turn it corrects the sloppy headspace. riceone.
Eloldehombre

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have an early 99 converted to 30.06 that I plan to 'install' a .30-06 to .308 chamber insert in. Will see how it does with the .308s.

Some years back the "T P Gunshop" in one of those frozen yankeeland states, Mi or WI or ???, would convert a 99 to ,30-06 for around $10. Should be some complete rifles around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: