Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arisaka help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turfmanager

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Arisaka help Reply with quote

A friend of mine wants to know exactly what this rifle is, and possibly the value. It is 38" long.

turfmanager

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can provide any other pictures pictures necessary if I need to and will answer questions as best I can. Thanks in advance for any help!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Looks like a type 30 carbine, they run $300 to about $850 maybe...I can't tell from the pictures, some parts of it look refinished, but I can't tell. Post what pictures you have and we'll see. Thanks for posting, Trey
turfmanager

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics.

turfmanager

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Type 30 carbine, model of 1897, 30th year Meiji era is where the designation comes from. It is in 6.5 Japanese caliber 6.5x50 SR. Hard to find, this one is unusual in that the mum has not been canceled (good) but it looks like the stock and bands (front/rear) have been refinished (bad). It does not look like the numbers match, but few do. If it were original just good condition with full mum, I'd say it was the upper end. The refinish hurts it a fair amount, but, having a full mum is pretty scarce on these, that may more than compensate to some. Nice find! Please be sure to fill out a Type 30 datasheet and send to Frank Allan.

Last edited by gwsiii on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
turfmanager

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The wood is refinished, doesn't look sanded and varnished, but it's been recoated at some point. What's it worth in cash or in trade? Roughly if you have an idea? The trigger guard and floor plate have surface rust, but it sorta fits the overall look of this thing. I haven't looked in the barrel for rust, I may do that later, but this thing has had some rounds put through it. Any clue as to a manufacture date? I'll print a form off tomorrow and send it in. Thanks for all your help.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: value Reply with quote

Frank should be along to comment on manufacture date, his book, The Early Arisakas, states carbine production was from 1899 to 1906. Value I'd guess between $350 and $500, depending on how much the 'mum' is worth to someone, it could be more. The only way to find out is to auction it off.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Type 30 Cavalry Carbine Reply with quote

Great find. I can not add much to what the boss here stated but I estimate manufacture some time between 1901 and 1905/1906. There were approximately 45,000 of these manufactured and yours was made toward the end of production.

Nice that the Mum is there as most saw hard and long service, with many being sold off (England, Russia, China, etc.) and their mums defaced, others went to schools and again the mums defaced.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: