Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd Japanese rifle???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heckinohio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Odd Japanese rifle??? Reply with quote

Local handed me a bolt action rifle to identify. I found it in WHB Smiths Book of Rifles, 1977, listed as Murata T-20, 8mm.

This is in typical non gun enthusiast condition. Scattered flakey rust spots everywhere. It is complete & everything seems to work. It has an internal magazine I was unable to find out how to load.......and I couldnt get the bolt out.

#144xxx.

Your comments???

PJH
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: murata Reply with quote

From your description, and the serial range I think it is going to be a Type (Model)18 Murata 11 mm but it doesn't have a box magazine, but looks like it does...
See photo below scarfed from Collectors Firearms.

The Type (Model) 22 Magazine rifle 8mm has a tubular magazine.
See photo below scarfed from Collectors Firearms.

I have never had trouble with the bolt on mine opening. The mainspring has tension on it from the bolt in the bolt handle, you might try removing that and seeing if it will turn without the spring in it. If that doesn't work, box it up and ship it to me, its pre 1898...Seriously, though, I don't know. We'll see if anyone drops by with an idea. If they don't drop by soon, I'll send out an email, and see what I can find out.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

I may have completely missed your point. I read it as you couldn't get the bolt to open. Now I think maybe you wanted to know how to take the bolt out.
heckinohio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: T-22 Reply with quote

It is indeed a T-22, 8mm. I had looked at the WHB Smith information around noon & didnt post this until after dark......apparently too stupid to remember it correctly. I am not really interested in getting the bolt out, just didnt see any "normal" procedure for that action. Cleaned the bore today........yuucckky........proverbial gravel road look!!! I am surprised to see that there is quite a bit of rifling showing, must have been extra deep when mfgred.

The local involved is try to get an assessment of value. Belongs to his female cousin whose dad propped it in a corner of their family hwd store 50 yrs ago &* it sat there ever since, closing store in June. Since this is certainly not in desirable collector condition, I am going to suggest $250.

Cant imagine a local market for it here, they arent the type to internet it or go shopping for a customer.

PJH
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

I'd be interested if they'd like to get rid of it. With out seeing it, hard to say on value, but I'd think more than $250.
heckinohio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: T-22 pictures Reply with quote

Finally got to this. A guy showed up here just afternoon w/6 '03 Springfields to sell. Asking too much each for me to get them all. Had a RIA version I dont have........

Here are pictures of this T-22 rifle. As usual, they arent as good as I would like. I have two 150watt spotlites in reflectors. I changed one to a 200watt clear glass globe version & found it better. I will have to rob another from the basement of one of my rentals.

The rifle is covered with freckles of rust. I have only found one pitted place in front of the handguard, big as a pea.......but I havnt cleaned much of it in the overall. After the bore turned out to be so yukky, I kinda lost interest.

Looks as if there was an attempt to remove the stock cartouche. Another turn off........ Wood is stained several places w/a blackish raised crusty material......never seen this before.

Picts, right bottom, left top & extras. Forend split two places in front, loose fit too........

PJH

heckinohio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Remaining picts....... Reply with quote

T-22 Murata, 8mm

gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: oh, that's a nice one Reply with quote

That's a nice one! You get tired of it, let me know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: