Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blevins - Banzai Shootout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Blevins - Banzai Shootout Reply with quote

The 2005 Blevins shootout is now officially over. For those that did not attend, words alone can not convey what you missed. It was the 20th anniversary of the Blevins get-together and should continue as long as our generous hosts see fit. I'll post these as each day. Those that were there can add to them as they see fit.

WEDNESDAY
I arrived Wednesday night to stake out a parking/camping place on the knee mortar range. After patrolling the premises until 2am with a redneck flame-thrower, (Dixie Cup filled with 100 proof Kentucky bourbon, and a Nascar themed zippo lighter), I bailed. 3am Thursday morning saw the arrival of Shannon and Mike.

THURSDAY
Too many arrived on Thursday proper to really list. Invariably, any new arrival is greated with the obligatory 'circling of the vultures.' These creatures, for the most part, are without any socially redeeming qualities, and stand quietly by, slurping and scratching with occasional calls of 'wow what's that,' 'what's in that case,' 'what ya got in the box,' 'lemme see that', 'how much is that', and 'anything else?' Rarely making an attempt to help unload anything that is not purchasable at that time. The secret to unloading is to do just that, get the vultures to help you unload, then start 'show and tell.'

Of notable mention for the story was the arrival of Dave 'drinkin buddy' Fooce of 'Dave's home for slightly sullied almost virginal and unbred arisakas' fame. Dave arrived after a long two days of driving from the U.P. and was greeted with the now considerable flock of vultures. After some introductions, Dave built his own red-neck flame thrower and proceeded to get 'acquainted.' Long about Dark:30, Dave retired to his vehicle for a much needed nap. I had made notes of one of Dave's rifles from 'show and tell' with the intention of introducing him to Mr. Blevins at breakfast. I remained vigilant with my flame-thrower in the company of the other Garnett, Bill and Barb, the Shannon (the Zeigler), Mike (the Rock), the Abramsons, 'The Nicks' (younger and elder) and awaited the arrival of Mr. Blevins. When Mr. Blevins arrived, greetings were exchanged, and a roll call was given for those still vertical and patrolling the premises. As things were winding down, I relayed to Mr. Blevins a short account of what was stashed in Dave's vehicle, explaining that we'd see them in the morning. Mr. Blevins implied that Dave could sleep anytime, it was his house, and he wanted to meet him. I suspected an ulterior motive, but just grinned and sat back to watch the show. After receiving directions to Dave's humble abode, amidst many snickers from the lurking vultures, a summons was issued to Dave, and it went something like this:
Thump, Thump, Thump (on the window...pause...) "Get up, I want to look at your guns!" To which Dave dutifully agreed to.

There was no, "excuse me, my name is:", "how was your trip", "did you get enough to eat", just flat out, "Get up, I want to look at your guns!"
Ok, it seemed much funnier at the time, but it will go down as a classic.
Right up there with the pre-shootout 2002 classic "What do you want, I'm naked, and I'm washing the dog!" but that's another story all in its own.

Needless to say, Dave remained in (and sought out additional) good spirits and went along for the 'ride'. We were visited by an obnoxious Turkey at some point during the wee-hours for which revenge was planned if he returned.

FRIDAY
Friday is the new 'traditional' day for the 'cooking of the butts.' I inherited this job some years ago and had avowed that I would not cook the 'butts' on Friday anymore. With this resolved in my mind, I relayed my refusal on Wednesday, which was promptly answered with, "Well I can't get the meat until Friday" being the real hard-nosed don't tread on me person that I am, my response was a hearty, "ok, if you say so." I don't get to do much on Friday's so we'll have to get others to relay their stories. Friday afternoon saw the surfacing of another rare-experimental imperial pigeon gun, deemed the Type 99 20-24-10, an unsightly battle damaged square-lug 24th series stock on a 20th series receiver, and a single left side flash suppressor on the barrel in .410 shotgun caliber. Using slugs this weapon would have been the bane of pigeons the world over, not just in Japan. Friday night did see the unveiling of 'the Zeigler' again, and discussion at length on the 'Can O Mater Soup Man.' There was a visit from the missing link; part man, part hairless-red-a**ed baboon which caused quite an uproar. Discussion also included comparative production numbers of double-circle rifles and what branch of Japanese gov't would require about 11K rifles from each type, 38 and 99. Two theories were supported, with Railway guard use accepted for the moment due to the comparable numbers. The 2nd army reserve comprised of those with lessor vision and physical attributes was also proposed. No sleep for Drinking Buddy and Trey, as we were on 'patrol again' and things were fairly quiet.

SATURDAY
Saturday saw the arrival of a 'van o-goodies' around 6am and the trading started fresh again. Firing pins for Light and Heavy MGs were at a premium, at least 2 were broken Friday/Saturday and put those fine weapons (Type 11, and Type 92) out of commission. Our resident machinists have their work cut out for them over the coming weeks. I know of two that went home with various broken parts with orders for repair or construction of replacements. Saturday evening a parachute flare was engaged, and a short while later a Japanese Pilot showed up, think it might have been the pigeon gun that got him, I'll post a picture when I get a chance. After several hours of intense interrogation (being in the same enclosed space with myself, drinking buddy, and others) he cracked and we found out his name is Tsuki Yamamoto. A very fine gentleman, and gracious enough to try on my 'special suit' and pose for pictures with the 'usual suspects.'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: