Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer 2015 AGCA Show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Summer 2015 AGCA Show Reply with quote

I didn't get to walk the show this year. Too stressed, too tired, too broke. I looked at two rows. However I did see 10 or 20 marked Japanese holsters that weren't Type 14 or Type 94s. Guess who forgot to take pictures? Two type 44 carbines, one with a refinished stock, and renumbered with what really looked like faux assembly numbers carved? in to the stock, bayonet housing, bolt, and other pieces. I got to look at it closely and the bolt had been renumbered, the stock had tse and some numbers on the flat, some history something like more of them in a collection in Denmark or something, the kana and kanji being a 'postal code' for the ship. They were highlighted with red and white paint and the stock had wood putty and was refinished, a nice color, close to original, but not quite. Vonmazur got a nice one (44 carbine). Maybe he'll sell it to me one day. Talked to a guy that said the gubs tried to confiscate a sword he'd asked a national auction house about 30 years ago. They came to 'confiscate it' and were ugly about it, so he got mad, they got mad, everybody got mad, search warrant issued and executed, ugh, sounded like nasty business. Luckily, he'd sold it a bit before the suit showed up. That is just crazy.

Alasaka, CrazyJapaneseCop, and I spent the better part of Saturday and Sunday with NHK, interviewing and going over things in our collections. It was mentioned that Alasaka had more named pistols, than I had pistols...They didn't seem terribly interested in the rifle that I have with a name tag, but did like the holster. I remember when I bought the holster, it had a pistol in it when I first looked at it, around $250, nice, numbered to tag in holster. When I went back to get it, the seller handed me back $200, said I just sold the pistol...Oh well... I finished about 5th place. #1 Son put together a display from what I didn't and get a nice reward too. Here's a few pictures.

The other display...

seinen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most impressive. Would like to make that show someday, but it's a bit of a drive from northern West Virginia.

Did the NHK crew express any interest in the Japanese-marked antiques, or did the interview not get that far?

C/
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: crew Reply with quote

They seemed mostly interested in Holsters with pistols, named to soldiers. It seems the plan, with some exceptions, read 'Adogs named baby nambu',
if family is found, is to return the holsters to Japan and do a story from that angle, and then return the holster. Alsaka mentioned they could keep it, but I expect there would have to be financial consideration involved to replace the named one with an anonymous one...They didn't seem interested much at all in anything else...

Last edited by gwsiii on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: smiths Reply with quote

I showed them the Smith & Wessons and suggested that if they could find the registration papers, they would be the easiest to identify. That didn't appear to be the angle they were looking for. Which I think would actually be pretty interesting. I'd be curious to know if anyone had looked for those when visiting the archives.
seinen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: smiths Reply with quote

gwsiii wrote:
I showed them the Smith & Wessons and suggested that if they could find the registration papers, they would be the easiest to identify. That didn't appear to be the angle they were looking for. I'd be curious to know if anyone had looked for those when visiting the archives.

We looked a bit when researching the antiques book but didn't find anything. Those prefectural registration records are probably long gone by now.

C/
type-14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always a really nice display. I see a couple of new members added to the Type 14 section. Razz
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: display Reply with quote

Thanks Dale, quadruplets and one little revolver with papers I guess since the last time I displayed everything . I got home and found 'triplets' that I'd set aside to clean. Wondered where all the extra labels had come from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: