Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mukden Carbine Sporter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
type-14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Mukden Carbine Sporter Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I was given a Mukden carbine that someone had started to sporterize and I took it in thinking one day I would finish the job. First let me say that the stock had already been cut and wood inlay-ed where the metal parts had once been. Rear band and forearm where gone and the front band had been modified. The bolt matched the rifle except for the safety. Well over the course of this winter and spring I got around to finishing it off. Thanks to Trey's help I found a bolt that would fit so I did not have to ruin the original bolt to complete this project. It has been to the range and shoots great. My work may not in the same caliber as Roy's but she is going to make a really good brush gun. The first set of photos are what I started and the rest are what we have today.

, , , , ,

And now the finished product.

, , , , , ,
ronin48

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Job, One of the old time gun magazine writers noted that the Japanese 6.5 was an excellent deer cal. Hope you bring home many Bambis except the one I want to murder with a matchlock.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Very nice, glad to be of service.
Thanks for posting!
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Hoten/Mukden carbine Reply with quote

Well done indeed. T-38 carbines are great shooters.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
DEFUC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got sporters in both 6.5 arisaka and 6.5x257 that I use for deer regularly. I found they drop large white tail right in their tracks .
oopy38

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: 6.5 Wildcat Reply with quote

DEFUC wrote:
Ive got sporters in both 6.5 arisaka and 6.5x257 that I use for deer regularly. I found they drop large white tail right in their tracks .

Check out the balistics on the 6.5/.30-06 and compare to the Winchester .264 Magnum. If chambered for this round, it would be a single shot as the cartridge is too long for the box magazine. I have never heard of one, but to fit the magazine, try a 6.5/.308. RCBS might make dies.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a couple over the years,oopy, both were listed as .25-06 but were actually 6.5x06 I wasn't impressed with the performance on either,my thought was the charge simply exceeded what the barrel could use effectively .6.5 X308 or 6.5x51 while a cool mod. doesn't seem a improvement over the potential of original 6.5x51 Japanese aside from cartridge availability,but that's just an opinion. I like 6.5x257 Robert (.256 spence) and 6.5x57 ,not the same round by the way 6.5x257 fits most arisaka mods,6.5x57 mauser has slight differences and wont close effectively generally Ive owned both , and 6.5x55 worked ok but ,to me, didn't perform as well as it does in swede's ,thru the issue arisaka barrel. I saw a 6.5x300sav once but passed on it as another wild cat ammo to build seemed a pain at the time,so no idea how it performed,but expect it was similar to 6.5x308 being parent &child as it were,sort of a case of someone making it because they could rather than because it needed made...Ive heard of mods to .260 rem but haven't ever saw or played with one of them. ..
DEFUC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the .264 win mag. with the right barrel was one of the finest varmint rounds ever made, Ive got a ancient M-70 in it that's killed a mountain of coons,ground hogs and crows.25-06 ,6.5 rem mag & 7mm STW all reachout pretty good to but they don't work in arisaka. 6.5x284 was hot too,anyone remember .284 herters (.284 win) ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: