Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ronin48 Update (Doss) 12/15/2015 updated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Ronin48 Update (Doss) 12/15/2015 updated Reply with quote

Season's Greetings - Y'all!
Not a lot of news here. I'll probably stop posting online unless there is a significant change in anything. As of now, Doss is in MS with son Bill. Doing well and hopes to be at the SEMCA Meeting in February in Cleveland MS. I went to see him over the weekend, and he was doing well. Had a roommate from Hades, so he was spending his time in a wheel chair? downstairs in the lobby, and in a sun room on the floor he was on. Rehab going well, he broke out of Folsom (no kidding, really, Folsom Rehabilitation and Such) like a thief in the night, with light flashing all the way to Mississippi. That's EM-EYE-CROOKED LETTER-CROOKED LETTER-EYE-CROOKED LETTER-CROOKED LETTER-EYE-HUMPBACK-HUMPBACK-EYE for those of you not, in-the-know about all things Southern, if you will.

Ruth is doing ok, she's still having some fluid build up on her lung(s) and is having to drain nightly, but is home and in good spirits. I believe she said her sister was back and brought her husband to help Ruth out for a while.

I meant to ride up today, but got busy waiting on packages and getting ready for the Jolly Fat Man...I know, I know, some would want to know why I'm waiting on myself, but it's a long story, and in some nations, it's still classified. Suffice to say, there are two Jolly Fat Men, one much funnier than the other who drives a Ford and keeps his Naughty list on the wall next to the sofa within easy reach of the 15 shot 'Commander-Hybrid', and then there's the one that drives the sleigh... That's all I got. Till next time...

Merry Christmas and/or Seasons Greetings to All, and to All a good night!

I'll get an address for Doss when I talk to him next.

You can send cards to:
Doss White or Ruth White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

Quote:

Doss and Ruth Update 12/15/2015

Sorry guys, I've been remiss in my posting. Got busy and a little drama here around the house myself. Went to see Doss on Friday, he was doing pretty good, moving around, and able to shake hands, but still in the bed. He said he was eating and doing PT as intended but had a long way to go. He told me he was tired of Icees...I told to-to...Wait, no I didn't... Sell you Icee stock fast folks....I went back Saturday morning, woke him up, visited and left before he really was ready for me, my fault, but again he is doing more arm movement without you having to suggest it to him... They are hoping to get him where he can sit up unattended for 3 hours each day, so they can shift him to a more aggressive rehab facility closer to his Daughter Katie here in Birmingham proper, well Homewood, Lakeshore, whatever I guess, maybe. Actually, I think it will be a longer drive for me, but we'll see. That's where the Olde one stands right now. I'll go back Thursday morning probably...

Now to Ruth, I called her when I got to Doss' room on Friday, she said 'talk to me later, I'm checking in to the hospital to get some fluid removed, can't breath right now'..... Well I worried...and I worried...and I worried... I swear if my kids are anything like my 'Editors' about keeping me updated, I'll do something bad....When I finally heard from her on Saturday, they'd kept her overnight and drained a liter and a half of fluid off her left lung, still a bunch to go, but they let her go home on Saturday. She has since had her Cpap adjusted, so maybe that will help the fluid build up. She and Daughter (Tina) got BANZAI in the mail yesterday I think, you'll have to suffer through another 'Batta's Bits' this month...AS soon as everyone's health gets stabilized, I'll shift the focus of it, but right now, I'd think everyone would rather get the health update. Ruth is going back to the hospital tomorrow to get xrays to be sure there is no more fluid build up before her Daughter leaves on Friday. By the way, right now Ruth is planning on me running her tables at SOS, which brings up part two, the Comfort Suites Airport Motel called Ruth today and wanted to let her know that they want to release the block of rooms they've set aside for BANZAI members because there have only been 11 reservations...So, if you haven't called and reserved your room you need to...Call the Comfort Suites Airport - 502-964-0740. Ask for Sharon to get Banzai rate of $80/night. I'll be there from Tuesday night through the show, so someone will have to help me do, whatever it is the Doss and Ruth do... I guess that is all I have for now. Keep the articles coming. Keep Doss and Ruth in your thoughts and prayers...
Till next time... The Grasshopper

You can send cards to:
Doss White or Ruth White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

breaking update...(oh the drama)

email from Ruth this evening, Doss got out of bed and went to lunch, they did not mention if he ate anything, or if they had to use a cattle prod to get him up and out... baby steps I guess...She's going to try and go check on him tomorrow, mask in tow...Probably doesn't want to get cooties...No telling who he's been associating with... Wink

Ruth's first day of treatment went well, at home resting now...

Keep the thoughts and prayers coming...Take care, Trey

Doss and Ruth Update 12/08/2015

I rode up to See Doss on Friday, he was doing a little better, did not get to see Ruth, but talked to her on the phone. I rode back up on Sunday and visited with Doss at the Nursing Home, he was hot, then he was cold, moving a little more but still not up to snuff. He did say to tell ya'll that 'Gomer says Hey!'

Ruth has her first Chemo treatment today, she is mentally drained. Her spirits are low, she has her daughter here to help her out and her son lives behind her. Right now, I'm 40 minutes away from both She and Doss if they need anything. We'll see how things go. Banzai is ready to print so that is out of the way. I'm not due to go back up there until Friday (to see Doss), but Ruth is supposed to keep me updated. She's under chemo quarantine (not supposed to be around general public, yours truly and the olde one included). I don't want to call and bother her though, so if I don't post anything, I didn't hear from her.
Please keep the two of them in your thoughts and prayers.
Take care, Till next time. Trey

You can send cards to:
Doss White or Ruth White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

Doss and Ruth Update 12/03/2015
Talked to Ruth tonight, they just did a biopsy, and she'll go back Monday for consultation, and to schedule Radiation. Doss is back in Nursing home for Rehab, I will go up tomorrow and check on both of them. Please Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

You can send cards to:
Doss White or Ruth White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

Doss and Ruth Update 12/02/2015
Sorry All, not much to say. They are moving Doss back to Nursing home today for rehab, I got home too late to make it up for visiting hours, not sure what room he is in anyway. Got a note from Ruth today, her Doctor called and said she had Stage III ovarian cancer. If he (doctor) thinks he can get it all tomorrow (not very hopeful), he will, or he may just drain more fluid and do a biopsy. You'll know something, shortly after I do. Doss was awake and said he would start eating when he heard. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers... Take care, Trey

You can send cards to:
Doss White or Ruth White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

Doss and Ruth Update 11/30/2015
I went up to see our Kindly Olde Editors last night. The elder was better than at Thanksgiving, but not a lot, I took the Icee and shared it, he took about 3/4 of it, but absolutely would not eat anything. He's still sleep-talking. Now he did open his eyes when I gave him what I think was unsweet tea, his eyes were closed until I asked him if it was Tea or Pee, then those beady little suckers opened wide and let me know I was on the list! If you've ever been around Doss while he constructs his tea, it requires Sugar, Lemon, more sugar, more Lemon, sip, repeat, and when he gets it how he likes it, you better not add any more to it until he's ready! Or else! Well, I got the 'or else' last night! I didn't get to go back today, should be able to go Wednesday.
Now to Ruth...
I dropped by last night to drop off a donation and a book sale from the TMCA show, got to chat with she and her sister, they are a pair! They don't really know any more than we do. Ruth had 5 liters of fluid removed from her abdomen today, says she feels much better, breathing easier, but that that she thinks she has at least that much more still to go, and they will only do 5 liters at a time...No results of the the testing of said fluids. You'll know shortly after I do. She and her Sister stopped off for some 'retail therapy' (shopping) after the procedure.... Women...Sheesh...
Please keep the thoughts and prayers coming.

Y'er Obeseandslightlydisobedient Servant....

You can send cards to:
Doss White or Ruth White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

Doss Update 11/28/2015
I've got bad news, and then I've got some more bad news...
When I saw Doss last week, he was doing well, eyes open, talking, chatty, moving around and getting his strength back, he still wasn't eating much, but was getting by, he was planning on getting a wheel chair and being at the TMCA show (yesterday and today). I felt pretty good about him last Saturday. Got busy, and couldn't make it back up there for various reasons (read that as 'work' got in the way - if anyone wants to sponsor my retirement - it would be appreciated, something in the 7-8 figure range would suffice, cash please, and I'll retire and correspond full time), finally got up to see him in the nursing home (rehab facility) Thursday morning and he had done a complete 180 for the worst. He wouldn't open his eyes much, didn't talk much, wouldn't eat his breakfast at all. I did get him to take about half the icee, but only after I threatened to leave, did he agree to try it. I fixed (ok, got them working) his headphones, but he didn't seem to have any interest. He'd started running a fever again, and when he's done that, he hasn't been very communicative at all. I did what I could, sort of got him to laugh, but it was a struggle, I tried logic, threats, and really bad jokes, and could not get a rise out of him, it was like the last 10-14 days had never happened. I was dejected. I got a note from Ruth last night that they had readmitted him to the hospital due to his deteriorating condition. I just got back, from the show, and have not heard from Ruth today. I'll try and ride up tomorrow. Now for the other bad news, The Doctors think Ruth has cancer, they are doing a procedure Monday, to determine the extent, and then Surgery on Thursday, with a 2 to 4 day hospital stay. I can't go see her on Thursday, but I'll try on Friday. She says "we'll put Banzai together around the middle of the month, so don't worry about that." (Is she something or what?) So please double up on the Positivity of your thoughts and prayers. As soon as I know something else, I'll update everyone. Ya'll take care, till next time... Grasshopper

You can send cards to:
Doss White or Ruth White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

Ruth can use articles if you can write one up. If you just want to send a picture and a description, that's fine too. We've all got great stuff in our collections that we haven't shared with the community. If everyone did one 1 page article and sent it in, that would carry Ruth for almost 9 months or more, just something to think about.

Doss Update 11/21/2015
My how time flies...It wasn't so long ago, I was trying to pick out tribute music, now I'm trying to find some workout music...Doss has been moved to a rehab facility to get his strength back. They are supposed to work with him 7 days a week to get him back on track, and caring for himself. Eating and drinking are still a problem, and there is a bit of depression I think, but in all. He is progressing still I think. He enjoys the cards and well wishes. So keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Being a holiday week and his new facility is a little harder to get in and out of during odd hours, I may not be able to go up again until after the TMCA show. We'll just have to see. I might can get away Thanksgiving Day...

I had something important to say, Oh, if you want a Japanese Sniper Rifle Book, I'll have some at TMCA, I'll have to get a price from Ruth, also if there are any other Banzai publications, just let me or Ruth know before Thanksgiving and I'll try and get them from her and bring to the show.

I guess that is all for now. I'm not sure when I'll have another update, Till Next Time... Keep Calm, and Carry a Nambu Light!
Y'er Obedient Servant, The Banzai Bomber

Doss Update 11/19/2015

Mr. White, Mr White, MR. WHITE! Please remind your guest that only PATIENTS are allowed to run around with their gowns open in the back...There will be no wheel chair jousting after 4 pm, No Nude Greased Twister with the Night shift...Ever...and we don't care what you did that one time at Band Camp...
Ok, not really - they did want to know about Band Camp....

I went to visit the Olde One, a little late today. Took his red headed friend and an Icee. I forgot the chunky soup...Again. He was awake, eyes open and in average spirits. He realizes he's got to eat and drink, just says he doesn't feel like it. I asked him to just take a couple bites whenever something was offered. I'm a big proponent of baby-steps... His mobility is better, his thinking is about the same, fuzzy in spots, but absolutely clear in others. He's moving much better, compared to this time last week. We talked about a bunch of things tonight...He seemed very interested in an article from August about the 400 year old Bonsai tree that survived the Hiroshima bombing, I suppose one of us should send an email about reprinting the article in Banzai... Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is for permission...Mehhh, Let me think on it.

I did not get a chance to talk to Ruth today. Hopefully she went home and went to bed. She's had a rough month herself. Please keep them in you thoughts and prayers...

I guess that is all for now. I'll try and go back Saturday, depending on where he is. Till Next Time...
Y'er Obedient Servant, The Banzai Bomber

Doss Update 11/18/2015

They moved Arisaka Fats, Esq. out of hospice care and in to the hospital to rehydrate. They gave him some more blood, and are hoping to start rehab tomorrow. The plan is go to a nursing home for continued rehab until he gets his strength back and is ready to go home. He's got to drink and eat more on his own in the meantime. I'm going to back off on these updates and probably not post unless there is something significant to post.

Please keep the positive energy and prayers going for Doss and Ruth,
till next time,
Y'er Obedient Servant, Batta no Kami

Doss Update 11/17/2015 from Ruth...

Here is the update for Tuesday, Nov 17.

The hospice nurse was able to draw blood today. It showed his white cell count was nearly normal, which is a good thing in the cancer department. It did show that a blood transfusion might be needed so I'm checking with our doctor in the morning to see if he can be readmitted to the hospital for that and to re-hydrate him. They can maybe give him some nourishment too. It seems the rehab facilities will only take him fresh out of the hospital. I think being a little stronger will help with rehab also. There doesn't seem to be any rehab beds available in the area right now anyway.

Doss is moving his legs quite a bit and can raise him hand to his chin. That is pretty major. He just gets a little goofy about this time of evening and insists his legs are tied up. As I've told him a dozen times, he will outlive me!!!

Thanks for the cards. I appreciate all the prayers. As you can see, there is power in prayers!!

Ruth

You can send cards to:
Doss White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

We'll make sure everything gets read to him. If you have any old or new pictures, or stories of Doss, please send them to me, or to Ruth. I'd like to work up a video tribute.

Ruth can use articles if you can write one up. If you just want to send a picture and a description, that's fine too. We've all got great stuff in our collections that we haven't shared with the community. If everyone did one 1 page article and sent it in, that would carry Ruth for almost 9 months or more, just something to think about.

It is with a heavy heart, that I must report that Doss has returned home to prepare for that big gun show in the sky. He will remain at home under hospice care until the end. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Doss Update 11/16/2015

Still hope! Gosh, where do I start. The Shogun Ret. is staying awake most of the day now, talkative, and alert for the most part. I rode up tonight, again bearing gifts: Icees, Sweet Tea, 3 Monster Lemons, and his little red headed friend... If he'd been able to put all that down, we'd have used the last lemon and some salt for medicinal purposes (think snake bite sterilization south of the border). Alas he would not, just a couple bites of Icee before I left. I asked if he'd been running laps again in his gown and flashing the neighbors and passerbys, but he said no, we would just have to settle for him being awake and talkative in the bed with no pants on. The first two are a vast improvement over when he first went home. So I guess that was ok too. Everything is working like its supposed to, but he's not eating much at all and definitely not drinking enough proper fluids. The Hospice nurse tried to take some blood for a sample and he was too dehydrated, they told him to hydrate and they would try again tomorrow. They are going to start some physical therapy with him, and depending on the result of the blood work and the response of social services, see about maybe upgrading his condition and getting him in a rehab facility? Is it time to rejoice, I dunno, if he doesn't start eating and drinking, his kidneys will start to go again, and as weak as he is...Well, I'll just leave it at that. He was moving a little today Ruth said, but tonight he thought he was waving at me, but wasn't doing much more than shifting his fingers a bit. He just doesn't have any strength, and won't if he doesn't start eating. Please keep he and Ruth in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for putting up with me. Till next time...

You can send cards to:
Doss White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

We'll make sure everything gets read to him. If you have any old or new pictures, or stories of Doss, please send them to me, or to Ruth. I'd like to work up a video tribute.

From Ruth today..See my note afterwards...Did not make it up there yesterday, did go today though...

Doss is awake a lot more and complaining so you know he is feeling better. In fact, he has improved enough that we are having hospice nurse come .... and take some blood work. When we get the results of that we will find out where we stand - if he can go to rehab center or what. He is still terribly weak, not eating much, and hollers when we move him but seems more mentally with it. His urine output is over the top so that doesn't seem to be a factor now. He is (the usual) problems with all the pain meds. Bill and Katie are needing to get back to their lives. It has been 2 weeks now and was predicted to just be days. Maybe the prayers have all been heard. That would be something.
------------------------------------
Trey's note:
I rode up a little while ago and Doss was tired. He's trying to move around, not having much luck, but baby-steps I guess. His mental awareness has been getting better and better over the last couple weeks, seems like his is sleeping less and more alert, more and stronger speech. They decided to wait untll Monday to do the blood work, as they wouldn't get any faster results (nobody wants to work weekends I guess)...Son Jim and his daughters rode up today, Bill and his wife Lynn, grandson Will were there cajoling Doss to move around and just annoying the piss out of him during the Alabama - Miss. State game. Literally...I know bad joke, sorry...I took the obligatory Icees and shared them. He's still not eating much and I think that will be the best gauge. Not much else for now, let's wait and see about the blood tests, and what we find out Monday/Tuesday.
Doss and family thank you for cards, calls, thoughts, and prayers... Till next time...

You can send cards to:
Doss White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

We'll make sure everything gets read to him. If you have any old or new pictures, or stories of Doss, please send them to me, or to Ruth. I'd like to work up a video tribute. Ruth can use articles if you can work one up. If everyone did one 1 page article and sent it in, that would carry Ruth for almost 9 months or more, just something to think about.

Doss update 11/12/2015
Sorry, too tired last night to post anything. Visited last night and tonight. Doss is alert, not eating much, but taking lots of fluids Icees...He's in good spirits. He's had some phone calls, and some visits, they had a metal blue grass concert tonight..Ok, not really, but a Cowboy Church member came by and played his guitar for Doss, he even learned one of the songs Doss likes to 'quote' from Right String Baby, but the wrong YoYo and Ruth said he really enjoyed that. I was headed to a Scout meeting tonight, thought better of it, dropped my son off at the meeting and went to visit Doss and Ruth instead, and I got there too late for the music. I dropped off the Icees and visited a bit, instigated a few laughs, the phrase 'matching panties' started that one, then headed home as they were all getting ready for bed. A.Fats looks pretty good, voice is strong, having trouble remembering, maybe a little more than usual, breaks my heart.

Banzai is printed, should mail in next day or so. It goes for fold/insert tomorrow. I'll visit again tomorrow early probably, but I may wait and post an updated Saturday.

Doss and family thank you for cards, calls, thoughts, and prayers... Till next time...

You can send cards to:
Doss White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

We'll make sure everything gets read to him. If you have any old or new pictures, or stories of Doss, please send them to me, or to Ruth. I'd like to work up a video tribute. Ruth can use articles if you can work one up. If everyone did one 1 page article and sent it in, that would carry Ruth for almost 9 months or more, just something to think about.

Doss Update 11/11/2015 Tuesday
I wasn't able to ride up Monday, I had a Veterans Day obligation to set up a Veteran's Souvenir display for the local Cub Scouts, I borrowed one of those Tube thingys that goes 'thuumphh' from Doss on Sunday and all that was a big success, look for pictures later...
So Tuesday I rode up after work, took the obligatory Icee and a smile. Doss was chatty last night. We talked about collecting in general and how many good times we've had, and funny stories. Ruth read an email from H.S. extolling the virtues and accomplishments of our Esteemed Kindly Olde Editor - that prompted a round of belly laughs for everyone in the room after Doss and I inserted some rather humorous retorts about Doss' propaganda machine being successful in response to Ruth's feigned indignation at being left out of the conversation...You really had to be there, but it was great to see a belly laugh out of the old guy. I'll head back tonight. Apparently I've been neglecting Will (grandson), I've been bringing Doss Icees and not bringing an extra for Will. I will rectify that situation effective immediately. I got home late and wrote up a quick couple pieces for Banzai so Please forgive me, I'm not as politically correct as Our Kindly Olde Editor, but I'm trying...Till next time...

Doss and family thanks you for everything. Till next time...

You can send cards to:
Doss White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

Doss Update 11/08/2015 Sunday
I went up early today, before lunch. The kids (Bill and Katie) and Ruth said Doss was awake to watch some of the Alabama/LSU football game this morning. Then went back to sleep. Nurse came today, he/we joked with the nurse. His fever was back, but swelling was down. Nurse indicated that he was receiving good care from the family. She did not mention me and my Icee's directly, but I'm sure that's a big part of it. I took two more Icee's today to the Namban (that's Southern Barbarian to you uncultured folks) and he was very appreciative, it may have replaced Milwaukee's Best Light as his preferred leisure beverage once the coffee pot cools off. Ruth has Banzai pretty much put together, she had some questions about the tone of some of the propaganda leaflets, I'll contact you guy(s) directly. I won't go back up until Tuesday, I set up for the local Cub Scout meeting before Veterans Day so I'll be tied up with that tomorrow night. US, Japanese, German weapons and souvenirs...I'll post some pics some time this week. The family thanks ya'll for everything. Till next time...

You can send cards to:
Doss White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

Quote:

Doss Update 11/7/2015 Saturday
I got up there kind of late this afternoon. The house was pretty much full of family, and local friends. Doss was tired, but talkative. He looked a little better today, I guess because he opened his eyes while he talked a bit. I took more Icees, told him I'd do more of the same tomorrow, he agreed that I should, and chuckled...I got the chuckle - my work there was done today, except I realized it is Ruth's Birthday, 39 years young, again. We took her to supper and let her just get out for a bit while the kids sat with the Shogun, Retired. I hope it helped. I'll go back tomorrow to help her put BANZAI together. I wish I had better news, but the best I can relay is that he is still with us.

Ruth looked through the files today, they were haphazard at best. If you've sent something in that hasn't been printed yet, send her an email to her or Doss' email address and we'll look for it. Otherwise, she'll need some articles if you can send something in pretty quick. Doss, Ruth, and the rest of the family thank everyone, for everything. Till next time...

You can send cards to:
Doss White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

Quote:

Doss update for Friday. I understand Doss had a big day on Thursday with visits from The Riceones, Japbayomanandwoman, BigBadJohnandCo, The Alasakas and their little dog too, and other friends and family. Son Bill, Grandson Will and Daughter Katie are helping Ruth (I just bring icees, my high fashion sense, gravitational pull, and my razor sharp wit) and they are all taking good care of our friend and mentor.
Arisaka Fats is resting comfortably, flirting with the hospice nurses (3 today at various times) in between 'ouches' and shots of 'icees' and bites of hot wings... He eats a little here, and a little there, but sleeps most of the time. Today was bath day, and being the faithful 2nd that I am, graciously offered to take one for the team and stand in for him and let them give me the bath...That got a chuckle out of him, and a couple others and they told me to put my clothes back on or they were pressing charges, just like at home depot that time...I reminded him that Japbayoman still disagreed with him over the different types of bayonets, Shogun, Ret. says there are only two type, hooked and straight Crossguard, and Japbayoman disagrees, but will admit that there are long ones and short ones as well...From the collecting world, the Boyds came to visit not sure about anyone after I left.

I didn't get a chance to read anything to him today, will try and do that tomorrow. I went through the BANZAI scrapbook with the intent of scanning pictures for everyone to see, we'll see how that works out. For now the Shogun (Retired) is maintaining and comfortable. He and the family thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and concerns, and for the pleasure of being your friend. I'll head back up tomorrow, and try to post an update tomorrow evening. Look for a late post tomorrow, here and on gunboards.

You can send cards to:
Doss White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

Just got through with an email from Ruth, he slept good again last night, awake this morning and resting...Family thanks us all for cards, thoughts, and prayers...

11/4/2015 - Another restful night for the Olde one. Doss is comfortable, sleeping a lot, responsive to direct questions, loves 'coke frostees' (that's coca-cola flavored Icee's to you foreigners), lots of visitors today, friends, family, and such. I visited for a little last night and again tonight. Got him to chuckle a bit, tonight, was always good at that. I took him an Icee, had to remind him about 'brain freeze'...Some more family came in, so I hugged Ruth and left. She's doing as well as can be expected. If you know her, just sitting is not something she handles well. I won't get to visit tomorrow, but will go on Friday. I try to pass along some of the comments you're leaving, seems like I screw them up more often than I get them right. I think next time I'll just print them all out and read them to him. So if you want to say something publicly put it on here, if you'd rather send me something privately, that's good to, or:

You can send cards to:
Doss White
PO Box 6
Eva, AL 35621

11/03/2015 Doss slept peacefully all night - no blood drawn or vitals taken!! He didn't get here until 8:15 or so.... Nurse said Doss is in worse shape than he expected. He thought it is a matter of days.
I'm sure he will rest easy and will enjoy the freedom. 'Ruth'

10/31/2015 Doss Update - Friday was quiet, Doss slept most of the day, and while I was there, they were working on a few things so I mostly chatted with Ruth. He still has some fever, they are trying to knock that out. Got a report from Ruth, late today, that he was more cognizant than he had been in a while, maybe there is progress being made.
Happy Halloween.

10/29/2015 Doss Update - Finally made it back to visit Doss today, this work stuff is for the birds...Pass along everyone's well wishes....Told him it was Adog's Birthday...He suggested I sing a song, sorry Rob, best I can do, from the OldeOne... A birthday song. Any way, we chatted for about an hour, he's still off dialysis, and working on rehabbing so Ruth won't have to keep waiting on him hand and foot... Personally, sickness wise, I think he is much better, but physically, he is still worn out and weak (insert cute kitten joke here). He's going to require some intensive physical therapy before he can hope to go home. They've let him be, sitting in the bed for about 3 weeks now, and he wasn't terribly 'fit' before that...They were going to give him another unit of blood today. I don't really have much else. I'll keep these up, until he is out of the hospital and back to as normal as he can be. Ya'll keep up the positive waves and the prayers. Ruth sends her thanks.

10/28/2015 Doss Update - Still didn't get to go by today. Ruth says he is still sleeping a lot, with a recurring fever. They are trying to rehab him to get some strength back, so he can function without Ruth's help before they completely release him. They are hoping to get him out of the hospital and in to a rehab/nursing facility until he gets his strength back and can go home and take care of himself. He'd say he's weak as a kitten as twice as cute...I'll try and get by tomorrow for a more in depth report.
Keep the positivity and prayers coming, now we need to get some strength back.

Quote:
10/27/2015 Doss Update - I did not get to go by again today, little thing called work, sorry so late. Here's the note from Ruth, basically Doss is better, but overmedicated. Nothing but tylenol for tonight...Kidneys are working by themselves...Maybe getting out this week if physical therapists agree....Here's Ruth's note:
Day. 15
No major changes other than they finally decided he was too dosed up. We could never get him to wake for meds, etc
Had to get rid of today's nurse about noon. She wasn't doing anything. Called in charge nurse and told situation. He called in his boss and things got moving. He has everyone attention now.
They took off kidney booster today so he is on his own. If things go well then we might still get out Thursday. He has to quit being a zombie first... Starting Halloween early
Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers
Ruth (& Doss)

Quote:
10/26/2015 Doss is getting better daily. Still sleeping a lot from the pain meds but so far no dialysis in his future if he continues to improve. As long as he rehabs, and eats and drinks, he has a chance to be out this week. Thank you again for the thoughts and prayers...

Quote:
10/25/2015 Doss is still off of dialysis. Dialysis scheduled for tomorrow has been canceled cause his kidneys are working better than expected (read that as he's peeing like an Oriental Race Horse)...Been heavily medicated today. If he gets back to eating and drinking normally, and kidney function continues to normalize, he may be home with little or no ill effects in a few days. My, My, My what a difference a week makes! Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers...Seems like we're almost there!

Quote:
10/24/2015 Doss is in a private room, off 24/7 dialysis, next dialysis scheduled for Monday. So he's better. Got friends and family around, will be another week or 10 days before we know a lot more. Keep the thoughts and prayers coming!

Quote:
10/23/2015 Doss missed his 10 AM pain meds, with no adverse reactions, he was sleeping good, so the nurse and Ruth let him be. He ate pretty good again today, and has developed an affinity for Coke flavored Icees... Some of you guys and gals may know them as Coca-Cola Icees... They are hoping to ween him off of 24/7 dialysis, and when they do, he'll get to go to a normal room. He is in good spirits, I passed along well wishes and prayers, and they all send their thanks. I had something witty to relate, but I'm having a 'Doss moment'..."Yes, I don't remember your name either." That is all for now, I'll be out of pocket tomorrow, so won't visit again until Sunday. In the meantime, get those orders in for Victor and Frank's Sniper book and keep the positive thoughts and prayers coming. They are appreciated.

Quote:
10/22/2015 Doss is making some progress. After a bad morning, things picked up and his sunny outlook returned. Ruth brought in a radio and some earbuds and he was smiling and singing Christmas tunes before Halloween with no pants on. Of course, he hasn't worn any pants in quite some time, think 'hospital gown, gotcha!'. She said he had some good solid food for breakfast and lunch and was sleeping much better. I got tied up at work, and wasn't able to visit today. They have told him that if he can come off of the dialysis machine, he can leave CCU, and I know he'd love for things to get back to quasi-normal. Will try and do a better report tomorrow. Everyone's thoughts and prayers are making a difference. Thank you!

Quote:
10/21/2015 Eloldehombre (Doss) is doing better today, some kidney function appears to be returning, still crabbier when pain medicine wears a little thin, just a little crabby when it's not. He complained about being hot instead of being cold, which I thought was good. Showed good strength moving himself around in the bed. Much sharper mentally today, fun to be around except for the setting: we traded pleasantries, admired the 99 sniper book, and swapped celebratory insults before/during and when I left. He was moving his hands when I left, and I said "What are you doing?" he said "Clapping, don't let the door hit you in the a**, I replied that it was a sliding door and he said "well turn sideways..." And so it goes...

He and the family send thanks for your concern, your thoughts, and your prayers. For all those that pre-ordered the Sniper book, they are in, picked up and Ruth will be getting them in the mail, likely tomorrow. That is all for today, if I hear anything else, I'll let you know. Please Keep them in your thoughts and prayers...

Quote:
10/20/2015 For those that don't know, our Beloved Ronin48 (Doss White, YeKindleyOldeEditor, Namban, Nanban, SouthernBarbarian and other monikers) in on dialysis in Critical Cardiac Care unit in UAB Hospital, his outlook is not good, at least 2 more weeks in the hospital if everything goes well, but they aren't totally sure what is wrong, or what triggered it, all we know is that things started going downhill immediately after a transfusion (one unit of blood) to alleviate some dizziness he was experiencing a few weeks ago.

This morning he had given up due to the pain and prognosis...The Doctors have promised to remove the pain from the equation and along with Family and Friends have convinced him to keep going for now. The doctors still think there is some hope for recovery and a reasonable quality of life during and after recovery, but have agreed to be honest with him and to let he and his family know if/when there is no hope remaining. He was awake, in no pain, and in much better spirits than when I got there this morning. Please keep he, Ruth, and their families in your thoughts and prayers. The prayers certainly helped out this morning! Thank you! I'll post updates as I know them...

Last edited by gwsiii on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:27 pm; edited 46 times in total
strangms

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey,
Thank you for the updates......
I'm saying a prayer every day for Doss....

strangms
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Doss Reply with quote

Great news indeed.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Doss & Ruth Reply with quote

Dear Trey:

Thanks for keeping us all up to date. It is tough time for them. If I can help with Banzai from here in FL, please let me know. Maybe I can do some editing or cleanup of others submissions????

I did just send Ruth a two-part article on Arisakas employed by other nations. That will help a little with material.

Thanks again.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Frank, thanks, will do...New update..
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

see first post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: