Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 38 Short Rifle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonmazur

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Type 38 Short Rifle Reply with quote

Trey: Got this today...900,000 range and converted after the late model front sight was issued.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

Nice, Thanks for sharing...
vonmazur

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Type 38 Short Rifle Reply with quote

Trey and Guys; I can make better shots at work, so I will put some up later today...We have better light in the store....

The match up numbers on the barrel and receiver do not match the original number on the underside of the receiver, and the bayonet lug is blank, and the bolt number is not on the underside of the receiver. The bolt seems to be correct for such a late rebuild...

Dale

Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Type 38 Cavalry Rifle Reply with quote

Dear vonmazur:

What I believe I see in your pictures is a Type 38 Cavalry Rifle. These are Type 38 infantry rifles shortened in the arsenal to a short rifle configuration. The overall length is probably 44 1/4 inches with a barrel length of 25 inches.

I can not quite see if there is a short narrowing of the barrel right behind the front barrel band to confirm this. After removing the action from the stock you should see a 1- to 4-digit re-manufacture number matching the receiver to the barrel on the left side of both. The new stock will most likely have Nagoya Army Arsenal inspection stamps - チ and 名 .

The matching system changed from early matching by assembly number to matching by the last three digits of the serial number. Some of the older parts, if they were in good condition, may remain on the rifle and have the original assembly number stamped on them.

Nice find. These are getting very hard to find.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: