Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something I normally would Never do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokey

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Something I normally would Never do Reply with quote

I have a Type 38 with a solid reciever, bolt and most of the barrel.
The last inch of the barrel has been cut off. The rest of rifle is an assortment of cast-off parts, some that were badly corroded. It actually shoots extremely well and functions reliably.

I'm rather fond of the Izawa Jyuko Type 99 configuration (I have one).
I've been considering having the Type 38 barrel cut back to the same length, modifying the rear sight to a fixed (at 100 yards) aperature and setting the lower band at about the same location as the Izawa. The upper handguard would run to the nosecap.

This would be used as general-purpose utility rifle, possibly re-chambered to 260 remington.

The rifle probably has no inherent collector value, but would be more usable in the modified configuration.

Any thoughts?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Smokey, its your toy, I've got two .410s made from a Type 99 and a Type 38. Its not a configuration that could be passed off as original so I'm ok with that sort of thing. Trey
riceone

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Modified Copies Reply with quote

In this photo the top rifle is a Siamese 91 Army rifle and the second one is a home made copy, it even has the Siamese Chaka engraved on top of the receiver with the Siamese charactre of serial numb "2" engraved.

Smokey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it's still in the "issued" assorted parts condition; except for the one inch shorter barrel. I may try to trim it back to "short rifle" length but in all honesty, it works pretty well as is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: