Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nearly unissued Type 44 (1st variation bayonet/muzzle cover)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chils123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Nearly unissued Type 44 (1st variation bayonet/muzzle cover) Reply with quote

Placed an absentee bid on a Type 44 and won it for what I think was a decent priceof $475 plus the fee to transfer it. It was listed as an "Old German Army Rifle (Possibly Japanese or SKS)" and noted that it wouldn't fire. I've always wanted one but didn't care to pay the huge prices I see them listed for. Originally I only had one photo to go by, so I asked for a few more. Luckily these photos confirmed to me why the rifle was "unfireable". Seems someone lost the firing pin spring at some point.

It's in pristine condition and seems to not have been refinished. Several cartouches are visible on the stock. I was able to free the bolt, but found the trigger sear was broken (or I broke it somehow....). The trigger is even the same assembly number. The muzzle cover does indeed appear to be the Variation 1 cover, which is very exciting!

I ordered a new trigger sear set and a firing pin spring from Liberty Tree, so hopefully that will help. Is there a way to replace the new trigger I'll be receiving with the original one I have? It seems the trigger is held in the sear with a rivet that isn't able to be removed. Any help with this would be much appreciated!

It's covered in cosmoline and grease, especially in the action and under the woodline. The bore is absolutely pristine and the stop has only minor scuff marks on it. The bolt appears to be a mismatch as the parts are marked "430" while the assembly number under the wood is "413". All the other small parts are marked "413" (Bayonet, trigger, bolt stop, etc).

The auctioneer told me it was actually one of his relatives (his uncle?) who brought it back. The uncle gave it to the auctioneer's brother at some point. This brother decided to move to Florida recently and placed this gun in the auction. While I didn't get a name, the auctioneer said the vet was in both World War 2 and Korea. I was able to find a gneltman with the same last name and the same area of PA who was in the 1st Cavalry Division during Korea and was wounded in Sept 1950, which matches what the auctioneer told me about the relative who owned it. I can't find any information on his World War 2 service though. I see the 1st Cavalry did fight in the Pacific, so I'm guessing he served in the division during that war as well. I'm going to continue to try and find out.

Anyway, this is one of the more exciting finds I've had in the last year or so. Here are a few photos!

gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

That's a beauty, You might be able to get someone to tac weld that back together for you. Or, just install the new one, and hold on to the old one. did you luck out and have cleaning rods in the stock too?

Very nice! Thanks for posting...
chils123

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'm hoping there is a way I can at the very least install the old, properly marked trigger into the new sear I receive. It looks like a little rivet holds it in place, so I'd have to find someone who had knowledge of working with the kind of thing. I just consider myself lucky the only other missing part is the firing pin spring.

I also hope I can find out more about the GI who brought it back. While I'm pretty sure he is passed, the auctioneer said the relative the vet gave the gun to has moved to Florida. I might try and see if the auctioneer will get me his contact info so I can find out a bit about where he served.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: