Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Siamese Mauser concerns/questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Other Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrisisSpectre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Siamese Mauser concerns/questions Reply with quote

Alright, so, this may be long-winded and I may use incorrect lingo/language for this gun, but, please go easy on me, as I'm typing this up while partially asleep. But I need some answers.

So, where to start.. I've been collecting Japanese firearms for about a year now, having found a decent Type 99, and Type 38 so far. Well, I was perusing my local Cabela's and happened to see a gun that interested me. It's label read, as follows (as I was too dumb to snap a picture of the tag): "Siamese/Thai Mauser Type 45. 8x50mmR." Now, I take interest in rare/odd guns, such as a Siamese-made Mauser, so naturally I took a gander. When I spotted a Tokyo Arsenal manufacturer's mark on the receiver, I immediately took to Google, to find answers. And answers I found! But, answers only led to more questions. So, with interest peaked, I bought the rifle for a decent price. Nothing too crazy, but not exactly cheap either. For now, I'll leave the price out of it.

I've been doing research on these weapons over the past week now, and am thoroughly baffled with certain things, and would love an expert's opinion on what exactly it is that I have in my slowly-growing collection. Bellow I have attatched several (26) pictures of my rifles. Many angles and close-ups, and all marks documented (apart from the ones that require a disassembly of the rifle).

Certain places on the rifle, I've seen other rifles of the same type have markings. For one, the bottom of the forward sides, on the bulged ring, and a stock marking forward of the rear sling swivel. As well, a few markings that I didn't see anyone mention. One being the two Thai/Siamese letters on the side of the dust cover, and the other being the poorly photographed side of the rear sight, where I can see a faint '453' marked. Two pictures I took of the bolt are somewhat interesting. On the safety switch, there seems to be a bit of it appearing to be either ground down slightly (as there's a chunk taken out, exposing some silver-looking metal), or it's simply been worn down over time.

Specifically, I am looking for info on what type of Siamese Mauser it is, if any additional modifications/repairs were made to it at some point, and ultimately it's general age and value in today's market.

[/img]
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Sorry, late to the party, and haven't answered your email yet...

Siamese Datasheets are here Siamese Datasheets are here

Receiver is marked R.S. 121 (Type A)
Serial is... Well, it will be more fun if you do it. They are the markings on the back of the receiver, the markings are on the above datasheet for translation.

Your's is in the original caliber, unless modified over here by a gunsmith, as the rear sight ramps were ground down during conversion to the Type 66 cartridge. Looks like a very nice one, but you do have some pitting which would affect value. Generally they run $250-$350, more for nicer ones like your probably, and if they have original cleaning rods, and or muzzle covers. Some have had the original muzzle covers and an instruction manual in the butt trap... Frank still have books available on the Siamese Mauser family.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: safety Reply with quote

I think that is just wear on the safety. I think it should be flipped over to the left, to allow proper functioning of the bolt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Other Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: