Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 99 With 'Aleutian' or 'Winter' Rear Sight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drill Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Type 99 With 'Aleutian' or 'Winter' Rear Sight Reply with quote

Posted this on another forum and no one there had even heard about this sight. Hoping that I may be able to gain some information here.

My Type 99 Nagoya Series 2 (if my research is correct) is in very good condition. The Mum is not ground or stricken in any way. It is matching, including dust cover. The anti-aircraft sights, monopod and cleaning rod are all original and intact. It also has what I understand to be termed the Aleutian or Winter rear sight modification.

I have read about this configuration, however this modification is the only one I have found (or even personally seen). Not interested in selling it, just wondering about the value of this rifle and the rarity of the Aleutian sight.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: rear sight Reply with quote

How about filling out a datasheet and sending to me, with pictures...

They are pretty scarce, I've seen rifles with them, sell for as little as $250, and as much as $750, it all depends on the other parts and the condition.
Drill Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: rear sight Reply with quote

[quote="gwsiii"]How about filling out a datasheet and sending to me, with pictures...

Will do. Need a little time, as I am very busy with work.

I will first post photos and then complete the sheet.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Rear sight lifter Reply with quote

Watch out for fakes as "reproductions" have been made.

Here is a picture someone sent me of an original.

Frank

[/img]

(386) 445-4225
Drill Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it!
Drill Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Type 99 With 'Aleutian' or 'Winter' Sight Reply with quote

Here are a few quick photos. My photography is poor. If interested, I can get a friend to help with photos, but it will take a couple of weeks. All numbers match, including the dust cover.

Drill Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: One more view Reply with quote

A little better view of the markings. . .

gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Very nice! Unfortunately the sides have been broken off. I had a 23rd series like that. In that condition (flip attachment), it would only have nominal value. But it is interesting to see it on a Nagoya rifle. The attachment is considered a 'hen's tooth' on the rifles. If complete, I think it would add at least $250, and likely more to the price of the rifle. Unfortunately, very easy to 'reproduce' so it is best to inspect very carefully. Thanks for posting, let me know if you have any questions.
Drill Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand. What is incomplete?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: ears Reply with quote

The sheet metal piece has two 'wings/arms' on each side that stick out.
I think these wings are good, I'm not sure they came on this rifle. This is a picture from my files. I don't even remember why I don't think they came on this rifle...

Drill Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

I had only previously seen photos of the sight without wings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: