Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VERY late Series 35 Toyo Kogyo T99 SN: 56550.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artyldr01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: VERY late Series 35 Toyo Kogyo T99 SN: 56550. Reply with quote

Good evening and happy new year!

I acquired a gorgeous Type 99, Toyo Kogyo Series 35 rifle. This is conceivably a survivor of the Hiroshima attack at SN 56550 which, as best as I an estimate puts it in August, just days prior to that fateful day. The only parts with serial number markings are the receiver, bolt handle and extractor. The stock hasn't been messed with at all. It is a two-piece with short handguard and has a small inspector mark on the heel of the stock. The bolt has the correct plum knob and welded safety knob. The mum is un-ground and slightly off center, like others I have seen in this series. The rifle looks completely untouched and very high quality for a "substitute" rifle as I understand is the case for Toyo Kogyo rifles.

It came with a bayonet which is completely unmarked. My initial research suggests it is a training bayonet. I couldn't be happier.

I spoke to the gentleman I got it from. He said it was covered in cosmoline and that he used mineral spirits and Murphy's Oil soap only to clean it. I don't know what that would do to the originality of the finish. Does it remove it completely, modify it, or is it minimal impact? With this information, what does that tell you about how close this is to original coloring and what your beliefs and recommendations are as to my suggested actions (leave it as is or some degree of "restoration?" It sounds "minimally invasive" to me, or am I wrong?

I am still learning to post photos here but it is posted on other forums recently.

It is hard to fathom this rifle may have been sitting in the warehouse just miles away when the Enola Gay changed life for ever.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

looks nice, toyo kogyo produced stocks with a bit darker redder, even thicker messier finish (think bits of dirt/such in the finish). With out holding it and seeing it in person, I'd be hard pressed to say original wood finish. But, I wouldn't do anything to it until I knew for sure. He could have cleaned it with light steel wool or something abrasive, or it could be right as rain. Just hard to say from pictures. Please send me a datasheet when you get a chance, thanks for posting. Trey
artyldr01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I'll knock out a Data sheet and send it this weekend!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: