Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early Type 38, battle damaged, school rifle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artyldr01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Early Type 38, battle damaged, school rifle Reply with quote

Good Morning,

I am looking at an early, 5-digit (1906 if my understanding is right), Type 38 that is school marked on the mum and 00 marked by the serial number. It is also battle damaged by a bullet strike on the stock that grooved the magazine floor plate as well. It is un-defaced, has the cleaning rod, dust cover, and sling (though I don't think it is a correct sling).

What should I be looking for to ensure it is "correct?" IIRC, these were matched by assembly numbers, not SN? I also understand school rifles may have been mismatched anyway. The stock seems to have original finish and the metal is in good condition all considered.

My theory is that the damage would have come after the rifle was pressed back into service in WW2 since even a rifle pulled out of the line for school service would still have been at least repaired.

I apologize for the lack of photos. Any thoughts on the impact that being a school rifle, or being battle damaged does is appreciated as well. I rarely shoot most of my collection (I would never shoot this one, I'm sure) and collect primarily for the "I wish these weapons could talk" value. This one screams history but I'd like more expert insight.

Thanks!
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: School rifle use Reply with quote

Matching on school rifles is iffy at best. If the damage was indeed done during WWII, it just as easily could have been done during an air raid than actual battle if the rifle was returned to service.

A five digit serial number is VERY early production. I sure wish this rifle could talk and tell us what it has seen!

Just a little input.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
artyldr01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure school rifles weren't necessarily "matching" but I wanted to make sure and make a mistake. I'm scheduled to get it Wednesday. I'll try and share photos when I get her!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen a 'matching' school marked rifle. Note: I'm discussing Tokyo guns, not later double circles, and other series era school marked guns. I have a couple of 5 digit guns, and 1 or 2, 4 digit ones. I try to collect receiver markings as much as anything else...
artyldr01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what intrigues me. It likely saw service, was pulled from front line service to school service, back to wartime service. It has such a long history. Unique markings, a nice finish. I can't wait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: