Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bring Back package (Papers, shipping box, 2 rifles)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chils123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Bring Back package (Papers, shipping box, 2 rifles) Reply with quote

I almost went to the show in Allentown this weekend, but ended up staying home. Since I had the morning off I decided to go to a small show up near Buffalo NY that I haven't been to in about 3 or 4 years. I searched the show for a bit and didn't see much I was interested. As I was getting ready to leave I saw a table in the corner I missed and that's where I stumbled upon this package. The gentleman selling it said this package was brought as it to his house by another gentleman who often sells him interesting military items. The seller almost didn't even bring it to the show and was considering taking it to SOS in a few weeks, but changed his mind at the last second. He wanted $750 for the package set and I thought that seemed fair for something like this.

The package includes 2 bayonets, 2 rifles, the bring back papers for one rifle and bayonet, and a shipping box addressed to the soldiers wife in Buffalo. The shipping box still has several shipping tags attached to it. The soldier's name as appears on these, though it was hard to get them to show up in the photos. The papers themselves unfortunately only list the rifle as "Japanese rifle" and "Japanese bayonet". It lists the soldier and the ship he served on, which I plan to research more into. Is it probable that he shipped one rifle home and carried the other on his person as he came back?

I don't know much about bayonets, so I just took some photos of the arsenal markings.

The first rifle is a No Series Tokyo Type 38. Serial number has the "00" added to the beginning and is completely mismatched, as expected. It's otherwise nice and complete. Shows alot of use and wear in the bluing.

The other is a 10th series Nagoya Type 99. This rifle is mint minus the ground mum. Screws are still staked and the bolt is matching. The stock is still in original condition and the stock cartouches are very nice. There is a huge amount of grease still in the action and clearly has never been shot since it was brought back.

I've seen such packages before on the forums but never in person. I'm very excited as this is my first rifle with bring back papers included. The shipping box is amazing and the fact that it has the soldiers name and matches the bring back paper is perfect.

Any thoughts on this one?

gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: very nice Reply with quote

Very nice! A good solid, early, 0 series 38, and a very nice 10th? series 99, with shipping box, 2 bayonets, and bring back papers to boot? Can't beat that with a stick! Nice score! Thanks for posting! Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: